Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I let out an exasperated sigh and ran a hand through my hair. "Look, Chase. I honestly don't have time for you right now. I would appreciate it if you just left me alone."

I was about to walk away, but he caught my wrist and stopped me.

"I won't let you walk away this time."

"You will," I huffed and tried to snatch my wrist from his hold.

He only tightened his grip, forcing me to stay in place. "Stop avoiding me already." He groaned in frustration. "Why do you keep avoiding me?"

"I am not avoiding you," I denied, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Yes, you are. Do you think I haven't noticed how you avoid making eye contact with me? Or how you always turn your head around or walk away every time I appear?" he asked, and I struggled to free my wrist. He continued, "I don't know what I did, but whatever it is, I'm sorry."

I stopped struggling at his words, frowning a bit and letting out a sigh. "You haven't done anything wrong. Look, Chase, it's better if we avoid any type of contact outside of training. Whoever is behind all this knows who you are, and it puts you under the same risk as me. If I pretend to not know you, they might keep you out of this."

"Amelia." He sighed. "I've been at risk ever since you fought off Gregory for me. There's no way for me to get out of this. What I said down there was an act of cowardice, but I will help you get out of this. I'll help all of you to get out of this."

I looked at him in the eye, staring straight into his brown orbs. His features softened visibly, and I sighed before looking away. "Chase, I—"

"I just need you to hear me out, please," he pleaded, and I nodded slowly. He took in a deep breath and looked at the ground. "I... know who is behind this."

My eyes widened at his statement, and I looked at him in utter shock. Even though he wasn't looking at me, I could feel the guilt radiating off him in big waves.

Was he joking with me now?

"Please, let me explain!" he exclaimed as I opened my mouth to say something.

I stood straight, squaring my shoulders defensively and glared at him.

"In the beginning, I purposely provoked that fight with Gregory, like I was instructed to. I did what they told me out of fear, since I didn't want them to hurt my mom. You were their only target, so far."

"Hold on, Chase. You can't be serious right now." I narrowed my eyes at him as he slowly let go of my wrist. "Are you telling me that you've been part of everything this entire time? Stop joking."

"I'm not..." he trailed off. "But you have to believe me when I tell you that it was only for a couple of days. I was so scared that I couldn't see what they had in store for you. I only knew their side of their story, so I wanted to listen to your side. Once you told me the truth, I forced my way out of them."

"This has got to be a joke, Brownie," I warned, shaking my head in disbelief and hurt. He looked at me straight in the eyes, and all I could see was regret and sorrow. When I saw no trace of joke, I felt the familiar pang of betrayal squeezing at my chest. "Why, Chase? Why would you fool me like that?"

"Because I was a coward!" he exclaimed, running his hands through his hair. "I wasn't expecting to get this close to you. Hell, I didn't even expect this whole self-defense thing! I swear, Amelia, I didn't want to be a part of any of their plans. Ever since I got out, I've been a target along with you."

I shook my head in disbelief at him, registering his word over my head. "This was all planned, wasn't it?" I asked, my voice barely over a whisper.