CHAPTER 10

LILY

I could not form words. I just sat there in the car. Was what he said right? Was I fantasising too much? Pretending too much to the point where the line between fantasy and reality have blurred to the extent where I cannot destinguish between the both? 

I did not know. Maybe I have? Maybe I have tried so hard to make excuses to care for him, to feel something for him. I have tried to justify his wrongs, which is something I cannot do. He is a Hellhound, a ruthless animal, an untameable creature, an unsaveable soul. 

I have been pretending this was my love story, but I have lost my grasp on the truth. The truth is, Zeus of the Hellhound and I are mates, however he feels nothing towards me, I am but a part of his plan, an ingredient to his recipe, a piece to his puzzle, nothing more. 

And me? I do feel connected to him. I do, in some ways, care for him, but I see now that that is my burden to bare, and mine alone. I cannot expect Zeus to care for me and I cannot go on believing he ever will. He was right, at the end, I will only be hurting myself. 

The car suddenly jolted to a stop. I snap out of my thoughts to hear Sozin was talking to Zeus. 

"Thanks, brother, we'll be quick!"

All the boys, except Zeus climbed out of the car and ran on the other side of the road to a random shop of some kind I assume. 

"What are they doing?" I asked. 

Zeus's sighed as he said, "They are wanting to go buy something for Sozin's birthday party."

I nodded my head, "Oh."

I was sitting behind his drivers seat. It was just us two in the car, sitting in the uncomfortable silence that was too noisy to my ears. 

I climbed out of the car, walked to the other side and climbed back in to the front seat. I sat there, waiting to figure out what to say. I fiddled with my fingers when I said, "I'm sorry about sneaking out. I shouldn't have been so wreckless."

"Yeah, you shouldn't have." He says in a hard tone.

"I-I-It won't happen again."

He did not reply to me. He just sat there quietly, not acknowledging what I have said to him. I sighed as I leaned back in my chair. 

ZEUS

I did not look at her or talk to her. I couldn't. I didn't like listening to her talk like that. Her voice held hurt, I could not afford to give in to it or else I am risking everything. I am risking the achievement of my curse. 

I looked out the window to check on the boys. I could see them arguing with each other. A disagreement of preferences I presume.

I will give the boys instructions on protecting Lily. She can never be alone, outside of her room. I will be gone for a long time, I am not going to risk her life or safety.

Movement caught my attention. A guy turned at the corner and was facing us. I watched closely as he was staring at the car. I glanced at Lily to see she was oblivious. I kept watching him. He stood there panting and he didn't look happy. I looked closely and recognised him as the guy that danced with Lily, I growled in anger.

"Zeus?" Lily said cautiously.

"Ssshh," I hushed her. Her breath hitched as I heard her heart beat quicken. she knew something wasn't right.

I unclicked Lily's seatbelt without breaking eye contact with the guy.

"Zeus, what's going on?" She whispers.