CHAPTER 42

I groan at my wake and I roll over as I stretch. I peak my eyes open and saw that it was the next morning. I wasn't surprised that I had slept for like 24 hours. My body has been through a lot this past week. 

I released a yawn and turn to my side. I frowned when I saw an empty Zeusless space. Where is he? 

I heard the rustling of papers being moved around. My eyes followed the sound and saw Zeus at his large wooden desk with papers surrounding him. His hunched figure and his hand scribbling things quickly. 

"Zeus?" I said hesitantly. But he did not answer. Whatever he was doing, he was in a deep concentration. 

I got out of my bed and slowly came to his side. I laid my hand softly on his shoulder and his head whips towards me. There was a slight pang in my heart when I beheld his state. He had such dark circles around his eyes. 

His five o'clock shadow was coming through and his hair was arranged in all sorts of directions. I stroked his cheek with the back of my hand in a caring manner, "Zeus," I said gently, "What're you doing to yourself?"

"I can't rest till I know exactly what Nikolai is doing. I need to plan for everything." Even his voice was raspier than usual. 

"Let the others help you. You can't do everything on your own. You have people who are willing to die for you, Zeus. Please. You won't be of any use to anyone if you don't rest...because-""

I stumbled backwards in a fright as Zeus abruptly stood up with his fists at his sides as he shouted, "You don't understand! I don't have time to fucking rest! The others don't know shit about how Nikolai thinks. He was my best friend! So don't stand there and tell me what to fucking do because you don't anything!"

I stood there speechless. My heart was pounding at the sight of him. I was afraid. Zeus was not himself. He has let himself drown in this. Not even I can save him. I gulped as I became nervous. I was hurt...but I also wasn't the Lily I first was when I came here. I've changed. I've grown. I am Zeus's mate because the Moon Goddess knew I could handle it. That I was strong enough. So...I'm handling it. 

He just stood there, breathing heavily. I slowly walked towards him as if I was a lamb walking to a lion. He stared at my every movement. I stopped right in front of him and he was looking down at me. I could see the storm in his eyes and all I wanted to do was calm it. 

When people see darkness or chaos and ruin they think that it is only great power or the most thought out actions that can stop it. I don't believe that. I think it is the small things. The simple things that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of affection and love. A simple kind word. A simple hug. A delicate kiss. The small actions are the ones that are most significant. 

I laid the palm of my hand over his heart and he did nothing to push me away. I stood on my tippy toes since he was so tall. I leaned in and pressed my lips to his cheek. I felt his jaw tense, but it didn't hinder me at all. And then I gently whispered to him, "Everything you need to win this war is already in you Zeus." 

I stood back and walked away from Zeus. He didn't say anything to me. But his eyes followed me to the door. I turned around and said, "I'll ask Donny to train me. Rest." And then I leave, closing the door behind me. 

***

"Let's try it again." Donny said. 

I groan as I get back up, "We've been doing this for hours, Donny!"

He gets back into position, "And yet you have not improved."

I scowled at him and he raises his hands submissively, "I was joking!"