CHAPTER 27

So...I pretty much did exactly what Zeus told me not to do. Just to make it clear...it was not my fault!

I was in that bedroom for hours! I was losing my mind and I heard everyone laughing and having fun downstairs. Which meant that there wouldn't be any guests on the upper levels. 

I was wondering the halls to stretch my poor legs, admiring the architecture and paintings. Many of the rooms were occupied by the alphas and lunas of the world. I made sure none of them were around. I couldn't afford to get caught and frankly, I wasn't in the mood to deal with Zeus yelling in my face. 

A painting caught my eye. It was from the floor to about a meter up from my head. It was a woman wrapped around in white cloth, tucking her hair inside. A wolf curled up beside her as beautiful pale flowers were positioned on random yet specific spots on the woman and wolf. I found it beautiful and capturing. My favourite painting so far for sure. 

I gently touched the gold frame, feeling the raised designs when I felt something strange. There was a breeze on the tip of my fingers. Wait, was it coming from behind the painting? 

I pulled the painting slightly and it opened like a door. Oh my freaking gosh! I just found a secret passage way. I feel like I just had a serious movie moment. I giggled because I was excited, but then it died off because usually this part of the movie, something bad happens.

Inside was a long dark hall. I quickly looked around the area, making sure that there was no one around, especially Zeus. 

I was nervous, but curiosity got the better of me, to be fair though, I didn't put up much of a fight, I was going in whether I liked it or not. 

I was consumed by darkness, I wasn't scared. I lived through the blur, through the dark for fifteen years, it felt natural. I kept going down when it came to a stop to a rather small door. 

It was wooden and I grabbed the hoop-like-door turner and pushed it open. Inside smelt old. It was a big room built with old stones. There were no windows, just giant candles that sat dorment. I looked around and found some old matches. I lit some of the candles. Chests and shelves, closets and tables were everywhere, littered with papers and books. People haven't been here in years. 

There were even dresses, beautiful royal dresses just hanging there, waiting for a person to finally come and wear it.  

I picked up a paper and saw a sketch of a flower. Drawn in 1736 By Zeus. Wow so he's always been goo d at drawing. I opened the big closet and saw old shoes and clothes everywhere. They were women's clothes. I ran my hands over the beautiful materials of different colours. They smelt musty, but oddly familiar. Weird. An atmosphere of nostalgia was in the air. 

I almost missed it at first. I was about to close the closet when I saw something shining at the back. I pushed the clothes aside and bent down to grab it. I sat it on the table and took the rest of the cloth off it. I felt myself freeze. It was a beautiful white diamond encrusted silver box. It looked so extravagant I didn't want to touch it. 

But I did because...well why wouldn't I?  Letters were inside. Old letters. I didn't know who's they were and a part of me felt like I was invading someone's privacy and I didn't want to-

Oh screw it. I picked up a letter and unfolded it. 

To my Dearest Zeus...

Oh great. Exactly what I needed to hear. One of Zeus's wives' writing a love letter to him. Great. That's just fantastic.

I miss you, my darling. I wait for you here in our home. I have been feeling the morning sickness, but other than that there is nothing else wrong. Our little baby is growing more and more everyday. I know it's a girl. I'm sure of it. I feel her, Zeus. She is going to be amazing. I understand what you are doing with Nikolai is important, however I still feel the terrible pain of not having you near me, holding me at night. I love you, my darling Zeus. My pain eases knowing that we are under the same sky, the same stars. And when I go for walks on the beach, I know we are looking at the same waters. Be safe my love and come home to me.