Time

-Chapter 31-

Bree (POV)

I stood there at the beach reflecting. I kept on thinking about Carl obviously, and why I wanted him to quit so bad. Maybe I'm just paranoic, but I've grown fond of him and I would die if something ever happened to him.

I was snapped out from my thoughts when a familiar voice said:

"You couldn't sleep either, huh?".

Dear destiny why the fuck do you hate me so much?

"What are you doing here Carl?"

"I couldn't stop thinking about you. ..... I, I need you Bree, I'm sorry". He made a pause before continuing. Tears started forming in his blue eyes. "I can't live knowing you hate me"

"I don't hate you Carl.... you just hurted me, and-"

"Where you got all those bruises from?".He asked in his deep voice.

Still when we were apart, Carl kept on worrying about me.

"It's a long story". I said while facing my feet. I knew it drove him crazy when I got into fights, but I'm like a fucking magnet.I can't help it.

"Why you keep on doing that? You're gonna get real fucked someday".

The whole time he talked I just kept on facing the floor, because I knew that if I looked at his precious face any longer I wasn't gonna be able to contain myself.

"Hey, look at me". Carl said while grabbing my chin making out eyes connect.

"I don't think I can do this right now Carl". I began to walk away but

"Wait! I know I shouldn't have lied to you, but you seemed sad the other night... you wanna talk about what made you hate gangs so much?"

My heart stops and I forget how to breath everytime I force myself to remember about the incident. Anyways, I had to be strong about it, and Carl deserved an explanation too.

"When I was about 9 years old, Lana and I had just moved to this place in Venezuela. There was a really disfunctional family leaving next door, but they had a kid, an year older than me, whom I made friends with in no time - I felt a tear streaming down my cheek but I continued - Tomy, that was his name.... His dad forced him onto drug dealing, he was seriously messed up. One night, while he was working the corner a rival gang approached him and murdered him. They left his tiny body surrounded by a pool of blood as display in the street.... He was my first and only friend". The tears were now comming out uncontrolably.

"Bree, I really don't know what to say...I'm sorry I didn't know... if I had known I would've-"

"I just need time, okay?". I said as I wiped the tears off of my face.

And once more I left without turning back. I knew Carl did nothing wrong, but he did lied to me. And on top of everything, he made me remember Tomy, whom I worked so hard on forgetting about.

.
.

But this surely wasn't something time couldn't heal. That was all we needed. Time. Who knows, maybe it could make us stronger...

-