Chapter 14

"Ugh," I roll my head back feeling my neck pop. "I'm tired."

"Long day?" Max questions as he finishes up our dinner for the night.

"You could say that," I trap my tongue between my teeth grinning about my daily events. "How was practice?"

"Exhausting. I would prefer spending an extra hour on the field then work out in the gym. Coach Tyler can be a bastard when he wants to be," he tosses some peppers on the pan making it sizzle.

"I bet. I've seen some of the stuff you do and I couldn't do any of it."

"That's because you have little baby arms," he pinches my arm and I jerk away giving his hand a slap.

"Be nice to me."

"Oh I'm always nice Sissy," he teases moving back over to the stove. "So Ten…"

"So Max," I mock going back to my history homework.

"I need to talk to you about something," he tells me and I nod for him to continue. "Well…" he awkwardly clears his throat and big brother suddenly turns very serious and I grow a little nervous. I hate when he becomes serious because I'm nervous he might say something about Colton.

"Well what?" I watch him and he turns to look at me and my heart races. "Max are you ok? I mean I know you went to the doctor the other day but you said it was just a check-up. You said that Coach was worried your physical from last year was running out and just had to redo it. Is something wrong?" my lip trembles something might be wrong with him. There can't be anything wrong with him; he is all I really have.

"Ten I'm fine," he shakes his head walking over to me. "It was just a check-up, I'm good," he smiles and I relax a little.

"God don't scare me like that!" I slap his arm. That is such a mean thing to do. Don't just say you have to say something then go all quiet on me. He knows how I worry.

"I'm sorry I forgot how dramatic you were," he laughs, taking his thumb and knocking the little bit of liquid that was in the corner of my eye. "I should recall you always go to worst case scenario."

"I can't help it. My mind is just stupid," I flip my hand around and he chuckles.

"But I do need to talk to you and it… I mean I guess it could be kinda serious. Really depends how you look at it."

"Well as long as your healthy I will talk about whatever you want," I lean back in the chair giving him my full attention.

"Ok Ten you are my baby sister," he says and I want to remind him barely because we are just a few months separated in age but that point doesn't need to be argued now. "And I would never do something that bothered you because you come first. You know it's always us above everyone else."

"Yeah I know," I place my hands in my lap feeling guilty about the Colton thing again. Max and I really don't have secrets, when it comes to us it's normally an open book but lately I've been anything but honest with him.

"Well there is this girl," he lights up just a bit and I smile knowing where this is going. "And we've been hanging out some lately and nothing has happened," he rushes to say. "I just like spending time with her."