Chapter 30

"Maxie…" I tap on my brother's door, peaking through the crack to see him sitting on his bed with his laptop. "Can I come in?"

"I don't care," he grumbles and I hesitate a moment before pushing open and stepping inside.

"What you doing?" I bounce over to the bed and sit on the end.

"Just looking at colleges," he states and my stomach drops, honestly not wanting to think about him going to college. "But what's up?" he taps on the computer keys a second before shutting his laptop and looks at me.

"I just wanted to talk to you," I shrug, brushing my hair back as I look at him, him nodding his head to continue. "I..." I open my mouth but then shut it when my words don't come.

"What Ten? I can't just guess to what you are thinking," he points out and I frown.

"Are you still mad at me?" I whisper low, looking down embarrassed. "Because I don't want you mad anymore… I'm really sorry Max."

"Tenley," he frowns shaking his head, moving his computer to the nightstand beside him.

"Look I know I lied to you and I know… I know how disappointed you are in me," I tell him, because I honestly know that. "But I'm not lying when I say it just… it just happened Max. I didn't mean for it to and I didn't mean to feel all these feelings for him but I do."

"Ten," he shifts on the bed to move closer to me and I thank the look of peace on his face. "I'm not mad at you, I never was really mad at you."

"Promise?" my bottom lip trembled looking at him. "Because you seemed pretty mad," I let out a dry laugh.

"I know, I know I did. I just… I have so much going on Tenley," he tells me and my heart hurts for the fact I didn't have a clue he was going through stuff. "My mind is all over the place."

"What's wrong?" I ask, placing my hand on his. "You can talk to me…"

"I know," he gives a broken smile and I hate I don't know what is wrong with him.

"Please tell me…" I beg and he clears his throat a little and looks down at the ground.

"I…I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago," he tells me and my brows crease confused to what he is talking about. "My dad," he clears his throat and my heart starts to race. "My birth father is getting out of jail… he wants to see me."

"What?" my eyes widened shocked. Max's family, will birth family is complicated. His mom got pregnant at fifteen and was involved in some bad things, along with his dad. However, doing the only selfless thing she has ever done in her life, when she realized she couldn't take care of Max she put him up for adoption. He was passed around homes for a while until he turned seven and that's when we adopted him. However when he was ten my parents were informed his dad got arrested. Mom and dad ever really told me why, but I'm more than positive they told Max about it. "Do mom and dad know?"

"Yeah," he tells me nodding. "I told them as soon as I got the letter, I didn't want to keep secrets," his eyes cut over to mine and I drop my head. "That's sorta why they came home early I think."

"Well," I clear my throat some. "Are you going to meet him? I mean where is your head at? Talk to me," I plead, giving his hand a squeeze.