Chapter 27

"Shouldn't you be at home? Partying it up with all your friends?" Zane teases, adjusting his bag on his shoulder.

"No..." my voice cracks as I look at the boy before me. Wishing to everything he could just stay. "I'm where I'm supposed to be," I tell him, feeling the tears building in my eyes. "I don't want you to leave..."

"I honestly don't want to," he lets out a dry laugh and I feel my chest tightened. "I don't want to leave you alone, knowing all you have going on. I'm really sorry Ten."

"Don't be, I did it," I give a half shrug, my voice crackling as he engulfs me into a hug. It's getting late, and I know I'm going to meet Colton to talk tonight but I couldn't let Zane leave by himself. Max and him said their goodbyes earlier, both being very manly about it, and Zane told him to enjoy his party... How he wished he could stay but his mom called saying she changed his flight for tonight instead of tomorrow. Apparently she had some things she needed him for before school on Monday.

I was not happy about it.

"He will get over it," he tells me and I slowly nod, wrapping my arms tighter around him, just wanting to hold onto him for as long as I could. "He is just hurt right now; you know how he feels about protecting you."

"He thinks I'm a terrible person Zane..."

"No...no he doesn't," he shakes his head, his fingers gripping in my hair. "He just... he has a lot going on right now. This was just one more thing...but it's not all about you, I promise. You're his little sister, his best friend. He may not ever say it but him losing that scares him."

"He isn't...." I mumble, hearing the loud speaker above my head announcing the boarding of his plane. "No..." I cling tighter and he lets out a small chuckle.

"I have to go," he pulls back, planting his hands on my shoulders as I push my bottom lip out into a pout. "None of that," he wiggles a finger in my face and I just push it out more. "Everything is going to be ok," he turns serious, lifting my chin to look at him. "You need me I'm just a phone call and a plane ride away," he reminds me and I slowly nod, feeling the tear slip down my cheek. "I love you Ten..." his left eye twitches a little and I see the pain strike across his perfect features.

"I... I love you too Zane," I tell him, his eyes lingering on mine a moment longer before he brushes a gentle kiss to my forehead.

"You let that guy know how lucky he is ok?" he teases a little and I let out a small laugh. "And...and you tell him he hurts you, he has to deal with me."

"Alright," I tell him, my talk with Colton tonight truly scaring the hell out of me. I want to be strong, say that I will not just let him back in but I know it's going to be hard. One little smile and a perfect plead and I will turn to putty in his hands.

Let's just hope he doesn't know that.

"Bye," he gives a slight wave, walking slowly towards the ticket line, his eyes not leaving mine.

"Bye..." I give a small wave back, feeling more tears spring in my eyes as he pauses, gives me one last smile and then slowly disappears.

(-)

Pulling up into my driveway, the whole street is lined with cars, the music is blasting into my car and I hear all the voices as I sit here. I'm not in the mood to go in, I truly don't like parties. I know most teens live for it, to be invited to the popular kid's house and hang out, laugh and joke and blah blah bull. Yet I don't like them, never have, probably never will.