*Seventeen*

March arrived and I got a job at a local vintage coffee/book shop, uber rides weren't free, and it was an eye opener when mom resigned as mom and, matt and I had no idea what to do

The place was pretty cool and low-key, - But that didn't mean that it didn't get really busy from time to time.

Admittedly it was a lot of work on my side, as I was trying to pull the weight of the three barista's that left last spring, Which often led to; me forgetting some orders, and mixing up the rest.

It technically wasn't my fault, as I was able, but not a miracle worker like Jesus.

The café was still hiring, but no one had come in since those kids left, and I was the first person to step foot in there in search of a job. - So technically I was a 'god-send', which was why the manager cut me some slack and tried helping out wherever he could. Other than that it was a good distraction with everything else happening around me.

Amanda and I were hanging out less. - It just seemed easier that way.

Don't get me wrong, we still hanged out a lot, and spoke every day at school and all that, - it just felt like 'High school' was actually this supernatural force that drove change into many young lives, Which is why Amanda and I found our friendship the same but not quite the same especially with everything going on, - The saddest part of it all was that; Matt and I had begun drifting apart too.

Matt was probably my favourite person in the whole entire world- [apart from Amanda], so it had been heart-breaking when I realised that we were in-fact growing distant. - But not really knowing how to stop or fix it -

I imagined that being one of the many feelings mom and dad were feeling concerning their marriage.

___________________

My shift was ending at the café Bella; I hurried and hung up my apron over the rail in the kitchen, slipping on my denim jacket.

It was Friday night, and I was thinking of popping around by Dave's place, I was in need of a drink and maybe a smoke.

____________________

I got there a little past six, where I saw a few kids of my grade, sitting on the patio lounging like they grew up here and knew this place like a home.

I waved to them as I walked past, stepping over legs and red plastic cups.

Once in the kitchen, I pulled the fridge open.

I had been coming here enough to know that it was; either help yourself or stay thirsty for the rest of the night.

Taking out a bottle of beer, then popping the lid off, I took it to the lounge area.

I spotted Dave sitting on the couch talking to some guy that I had seen enough to know that he was named Ian, and was a senior.

I nodded my greetings, and took a seat

Dave gave me a sour look.

Nothing new

Ian was the one who actually looked up and voiced his greeting

''Em, right?''

I nodded, smiling lightly

On a normal occasion no one really noticed me or bothered pretending they did

I blamed this new trend, - where people acknowledged me, even if I didn't necessarily acknowledge them, Ian included – someone I'd never spoke to before) who suddenly had a newfound interest in me. I blamed this all on Finn