14. Family

Chapter 14 :

Family

|

|

He chuckled a heavy chuckle, "You will, one day, you will," he said nothing else.

I was about to give him money but he refused it, saying it was a favor to drive me. I looked strangely at the man before exiting his car and running inside as fast as I could.

It was Wednesday. The day started as different and as special as every other day in Lestrade High. Please, note the sarcasm.

When I got to school, Clary was standing in front of my locker, as usual. Was that girl coming at 7am or what? It was still 15 minutes until the bell and she already looked tired from waiting.

"Clary, are you okay?" I asked her as I opened my locker.

She nodded, "Yea, couldn't sleep last night. Found that crazy book and was reading it until 5:30. I fell asleep for an hour, but I guess it wasn't enough," she let out a tired giggle.

"Well, Clary, hold on because I am going to tell you something I probably had to split out yesterday, but couldn't decide."

Her eyes flashed with curiosity, "I'm listening..."

I leaned closer to her as she repeated my action so no one was hearing us, "Nick and I are dating!" I squeaked in whisper as possible.

"What?" her squeak wasn't in whisper as she made all the heads turn to us. She got her mistake before lowering her voice again, "How did that even happen?"

"You know, it happened before yesterday. Billy and I went to the McDonald's and the blonde clinger approached us. Billy, obviously, found out who he was and there was a huge fight one-on-one. Until the brunette one put a knife on my throat, threatening to kill me," I talked as emotionless as possible, ignoring Clary's gasps now and then, "So then the police came and everyone's great. And that day right after the accident I went at Nick's with Billy. Nick noticed my bruise and bandaged it. And then Billy entered and spilled everything to Nick. They planned to kill them after Nick's out of the hospital. So then Billy left and Nick was all like 'it will be okay' and then he went like 'will you be my girlfriend' and I was like YISS!"

"Oh God I'm so happy for you!" she squaked once more, "Did you tell about all the always-meeting thing?"

I nod furiously, "Yea! And he was like 'trust me everything will be fine' and I was like 'hell yea!' And look what we found," I said, holding up my clear wrist.

Her eyes went so wide, I actually started worrying if they'd fall out, "Oh my God!" she screamed, covering her mouth with her hand shortly after that, "What the actual hell?"

I sighed, "No idea. It's like Nick's wizarding on me! We thought about telling it to a doc to see if that was possible. But the bruise was gone and they'd hardly get us, so we talked ourselves out of it. And we saw the bruise being cured to little blue dots and we saw them disappearing."

"Oh my-"

She was cut off by a bell, signaling our Biology class. And I was pretty glad, I talked so much I got tired of my own voice.

It was 10 minutes until the bell that would signal the end of the Biology class. A girl's gasping turned my head to my right, seeing a brunette that I believed was called Katie a couple of seats away; she lived next door. She was gasping for air like asthmatic, her eyes wide and her hand on her chest as she tried to let air reach her lungs. Mrs. Walkins - the teacher - ran to her side as she was telling Katie to calm down and keep breathing calmly. I heard the girl gasping for one last time as she fell from her chair unconsciously, falling down on the light brown floor with a thud. The whole class circled her and Clary and I did, too, finding our way in the front so we could see Katie. I kneed down beside her, remembering what my mom used to do in such situations.