39. End of Some

Chapter 39 :

End of Some

|

|

We hurried out of the academy and to the St. Gabriel's Hospital almost immediately. We sat in the car of Mrs. Shoo and drove as fast as we could. In the middle road, I wrapped the necklace of Roo around my neck and connected the ends of the leather together, letting it fall freely on my chest. All the four of us were sickly worried and I think we drove over the speed limit, but none of us cared right now. Mr. Rockets was in the bed, probably connected to hundreds of machines that feedbacked his life, fighting to live another day on New Year's Eve.

It was almost midnight, almost New Year when we stepped into the hospital. Red and green decorations were everywhere and small Christmas trees stood every here and there, some on small tables and some on the floor, in the corners. Nice way of celebrating New Year, isn't it? We went up to the woman at the main counter that was typing something in the computer.

"Excuse me, we've come for Torrance Rockets, where is he?" Mrs. Shoo asked and it was my first time hearing the name of Mr. Rockets.

"Are you close relatives?" the woman behind the counter asked, not even looking up at us.

"Yes," she said, "I'm... His wife, these two are my kids and this is his sister," she said, calling Nick and I her kids and Martha the sister of Mr. Rockets. I stared at Mrs. Shoo in shock who had just lied. Who knew what else this woman could do?

"Ward 205th, second floor, but I doubt someone will let you in."

She wasn't finished with her sentence when we were all already waiting for the elevator to arrive. Soon enough, the doors to the empty elevator opened and we ran in, pushing the button with lighting number 2 on it. Each and every one of us were tapping our feet on the ground nervously until the doors opened and we stood in front of the ward 205 in a matter of a second.

Mrs. Shoo knocked on the door twice before twisting and pushing the doorknob unpatiently as she entered, us following behind. The first thing that came to eyes were two doctors and two anxious med-sisters. I could hear the beeping sound, which had to be the heartbeat-controller of Mr. Rockets. Everyone stood in front of me, looking down at Mr. Rockets as if covering my way purposely. I went all around the crowd of seven people and went at the end of the bed of Mr. Rockets to take a look at him. I moved slowly, guilt choking me. I suddenly realized, if I took this damned necklace of Roo with me and put it on my neck instead of leaving it for Matthew to steal, we'd be now all at Lestrade Academy, thinking when would be better to go to Thella. But because of my unattentiveness, Mr. Rockets was on the verge of death.

I reached the end of his bed and was finally able to look at him. Immediately, my palms flew up to my face, covering my lips and my nose as I turned around, closing my eyes, unable to keep looking at him. I smashed into someone's chest and once again, I knew by touch it was Nick, his arms automatically wrapping around me. Mr. Rockets's face was all blue and purple, his eyes ready to jump away - that's how Matthew enriched him. In that one second of looking at him, I could see the bandage covered with blood around his stomach, one of his hands and one of his legs also bandaged, broken. His face was so, so damaged his own mother wouldn't be able to recognize him at the moment.

I breathed heavily into my hands, my eyes still closed, but the picture of damaged Mr. Rockets still in front of me. I took all the comfort I could from Nick, that was hugging me as I shook in his arms. I wasn't crying, but I was shaking out of nervousness and panic. He had to live.