Pt 3:

You and Newt decide that you shouldn't share your memory until it becomes important. The next few days go on normally, well, as normal as they can be when you're stuck in a giant deadly maze. Newt helps you try all the different jobs. You are pretty good at all of them. Every time you spend time with Newt, you constantly find yourself thinking about how sweet and nice he is. He's currently demonstrating some technique used in gardening, you find your gaze landing on his face, the way he talks when he's concentrating, how he nervously chuckles at his own jokes. He glances up at you. You quickly turn your attention back to what he's demonstration, but it's too late. He turns back to what he's doing, pretending not to notice, but you see his cheeks flush pink, he noticed. The rest of the day goes by pretty smoothly, and now you're ready for dinner. Newt walks to the kitchens with you, but before you can sit down Minho calls you over. You don't know him all too well yet, but you can tell that he's going to be a good friend. "What's up Minho?" You say as you reach the tree he's currently slumped against, trying to look cool, and succeeding. "I want to challenge you to a race greenie." "A race?" "That's what I said isn't it?" "Well yeah..." "Then come on!" With that he struts over to an open part of the glade, shouting the whole way, "We got a greenie race!" Little do you know, this is one of the tests to determine if you could be a runner. As you follow Minho you feel an energy surge, it gives you confidence and you allow yourself a sly smile. All of the Gladers make a horseshoe shape behind you and Minho, shouting encouragement to both you and Minho. Right before the race Newt comes from behind you and whispers in your ear, "Good luck." His warm breath on your ear sends a spark trickling down your spine and you grin. Galley steps in front and shouts, "Ready... Set... GO!" You take off pumping your legs as fast as they'll go. But you see Minho pulling ahead. You force the rhythmical pounding of your feet to the soft turf to speed up and you begin to gain on him. At the last second you pull right along side of him, resulting in a tie. "Wow shank gotta say that was pretty good," Minho says with a pant. "Thanks! You weren't so bad yourself." You add with a wink. As you stroll back to the eating area, out of breath, and legs burning, you see the Gladers celebrating your victory. You see Newt and smile at him. He smiles, gives a thumbs up, then walks off. Why would he just walk off like that? Something must be wrong. You try to follow him but a crowd of celebrating Gladers surrounds you before you can. 

 After what must've been at least an hour of dancing, cheering, and laughing. The celebration dies down and you find a window to go check on Newt. You start in the direction you saw him go and find yourself walking straight into a dense wood. You recall Newt saying something about the 'deadheads' being back here. The sun has already lowered behind the edge of the wall, casting eerie shadows throughout the woods. Your imagination goes to work imagining all sorts of scary situations. You jump at every sound, growing more frightened by the second. You jump at the sound of a Griever through the walls. Ok, you need to find Newt soon, and get out of here. "Newt... Are you there?" Your voice sounds much more scared than you intended. "He can't hear you." A deep raspy voice says from somewhere behind you.Your heart freezes inside your chest. The voice continues, "No one can hear you now." Fear grips you, withholding you from any movement and the disturbed voice sends creeping chills down your spine. "Wh..Who's there?" "It doesn't matter... Not anymore." The voice responds menacingly. You hear a branch snap and spin to look just in time to see a shadowed figure lunging at you. The figure crashes into you sending you straight into the hard ground, a root finding a painful home in your back. You scream, and see that the figure is a boy, one of the Gladers. He looks different, deranged, and he has a knife. Almost immediately he starts jabbing at your head with the knife. You catch his hands and try to hold him back but he's too strong. As he begins to overpower you the knife slides slowly down your cheek. You scream in pain trying with all your strength to hold him back. A new figure bursts through the trees and tackles the boy, knocking him off of you. The new figure straggles for a moment, but retrieves the knife from your attacker's hands. With a swift punch to the side of the head, your attacker is knocked unconscious, by who you now can see, Newt. "Y/n, are you ok?" He asks, taking you by the shoulders and looking straight at you. You nod shakily in response. He gently tilts your chin to see the cut. "You'll be ok." He says with what sounds like a sigh of relief. His hand lingers softly on the side of your face and he asks, "Now why would you go into the woods by yourself?"