Pt 8:

Your POV: While waiting for Newt to come back, you find your thoughts drifting back to him. What he was trying to say, why he was acting so protective of you. You almost get the feeling that he was trying to say that he loves you, but that's beyond even wishful thinking. It hasn't been long but something inside you tells you that you care for him. Something inside you has always known that there might be more between the two of you if you weren't in a deadly maze. It's disappointing that once you finally realize just how much you care for him, everything goes wrong. How could any of us, him especially, have time for the privilege of love? He has so much to worry about on his own, being second in command, he has to worry about the lives and safety of everyone in the Glade. All of that aside, you can't help but think of what it might be like if you DID have time for love. A knock on the door interrupts your thoughts. You sit up, "Come in." Newt walks in and takes a seat at the edge of your bed, you can tell there's something bothering him. "What's wrong Newt?" Newt sighs, "Minho and Thomas have found a way out of the maze. Everyone is packing up and getting read. We're leaving today." Excitement soars through you, the one thing everyone has ever wanted has just been given to them. Leaving the maze once and for all. But Newt's voice doesn't even hold the slightest trace of excitement. "Newt this is wonderful, why are you still so upset?" "We have reason to believe that we'll be met by a bunch of Grievers, we'll have to fight our way out." You contemplate this for a moment, then the realization hits you. You're hurt. You won't be able to run much less put up a fight against Grievers. Newt's head hangs low, he hasn't looked at you ever since he came in the room. "Alby says you have a choice, just like the rest. If you think you can make it you're welcome to come with us. Or there's a group that is staying because they feel safer here and you can stay with them." Your head is now swimming. All the joy you felt before has been drained as quickly as it arrived. You can't stay. You can't just sit around and wait for the Grievers to finish you off. Even if it'll hurt, you have to try. You would rather go out in a fight than being Griever bait. "I'm going. I'm coming with you." You say, your mind made up. An emotion you can't explain flashes across Newt's face, it's like he's relieved, yet worried at the same time. He takes a deep breath and walks over to the door, "Good that, you better get ready, we're leaving soon." Just as his hand reaches for the door you pull him into a hug from behind. No words are needed, the hug is all you need and you never want to let go.

 The two of you split up, Newt has to finish collecting weapons and assigning them, and You have a lot to do to prepare for what's to come. With Clint's help, he shows you how to properly wrap your wounds, and bind them so that the fabric stays tight. Newt left you his spare shirt since your's is covered in blood. You put in on and it's a little too big, although it doesn't really matter. When you live in a giant maze and have to fight for your survival, a too big shirt is the least of your problems. While you get ready, one thought crosses your mind, maybe once you escape, you can go live a normal life, and tell Newt how you feel. You take a bag and fill it with bandages and ointment for your wounds, along with some food from Fry. You make your way over to Newt to chose some weapons. After looking through all of them, you decide on a sword and a knife. Newt hands you a belt that has a hit to hold your sword. With a smile he says, "Nice choice of weapons." Then you see he has the same ones picked out for himself. Finally, with painful shaky steps, you make your way over to the entrance to the maze. You bite your lip, forcing yourself to keep a straight face and hide the pain, but Alby sees right through you. He walks up to you saying, "I'm allowing you to come with us, and I do hope you make out. But there's one thing I need you to understand. From here on out it's every man for himself, we WILL leave you if we have to." You hear the care in his voice, he does truly hope that you'll make it, but once again he has to watch out for the whole group, and one girl with several injuries is sure to drag them down. You nod and respond, "I understand. I wouldn't want it any other way." Alby nods and smiles before pulling you into a gentle hug, careful of your injuries. When he walks away Newt comes over and stands next to you. "You going to be alright?" He asks, inspecting the bandages on our arm. "To tell you the truth, I don't know. I'm going to try my best. I want to get out of here, to live a normal life. I know I'm strong, but I guess we're about to find out just how strong I really am." You chuckle and notice the Newt forces a laugh. He's worried about you. A commotion in the back of the group takes your attention away from each other. You turn around and your eyes land on Ben, the boy who attacked you.