Let Me do the Talking

"After the maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city. They realized I was immune, patched me up and took me here. This group has been at war with WICKED ever since they took control of the city. But WICKED can't hide behind those walls forever. The day is gonna come and they're going to pay for what they've done." Gally looks down. You notice remorse in his voice, mingled with hatred. He's thinking about Chuck. WICKED made him kill Chuck and he wants to be a part of making WICKED pay for that. You're surprised as you feel a faint trace of respect towards Gally. You look at Newt, he looks sad, deep in thought. He's been acting weird ever since he saw Gally. You think back to how his voice had cracked and sounded so weak when he talked to Gally. Then about what Gally said about Newt talking to him about you. Newt and Gally were friends. Really good friends. The thought dawns on you and sends a whole new wave of emotions through you. Trying to understand some of the confusion and hurt Newt is feeling. You grab Newts hand, even though it hurts your wrist. You want to comfort him. Gally stops walking, then says a little awkwardly, "Lawrence doesn't get many visitors. So just let me do the talking, ok?" You nod. You're not in the mood to talk anyway. "Oh yeah, try not to stare." He adds, walking away. You want to be startled by this comment or surprised. At this point, you doubt anything could surprise you. You walk into a room, and dozens of different smells fill your senses, the smells are overpowering and almost sickening, although sweet at the same time. You feel yourself go a little light headed so you put your arm around Newt to stabilize yourself. A man is tending to a large garden of flowers, the source of all the smells. He speaks with a calm air, but something about his voice sends creeping chills down your spine. "Gally. I'm glad to see you made it back, they told me what happened." Gally seems unfazed and responds, "It was a slaughter, we barely escaped with our lives." Lawrence nods then says rather poetically, "Well, they can only poke the hornet's nest for so long, before they get stung." He smells one of his flowers, and that's when you see it. He has no nose, well at least no flesh of a nose. He also has dark black veins crawling along his skin. His face looks almost melted away. The realization hits you hard. This man is turning crank.

 Lawrence speaks again, "Who are these people? Why are they here?" Gally opens his mouth to speak but Thomas beats him to it. You sigh, the one thing Gally said not to do, and Thomas goes and does it. "We need to get into wicked. Gally said you can get us through the walls." Gally looks back at you, exasperated. You shrug, suppressing a laugh. Lawrence speaks up again, "Gally should know better than to make promises he can't keep." Your heart drops down to your toes. Disappointment fills you, they can't help. Newt notices your disappointment and wraps an arm around your shoulders. You noticed the motion seems strained, but pass it off as a disappointment. Lawrence continues, "Besides, getting past that wall is only half your problem, getting into wicked is impossible." Then, to your surprise Gally speaks, "There might be a way now." You lift your head, eyes re-filled with hope. Gally continues, "Although, it doesn't work if we don't have Thomas." You're shocked, once again. How many times can a person be surprised in one day? Thomas looks just as surprised as you. Lawrence starts to walk towards Thomas, and you take a half step back in unconscious fear. Newt squeezes your shoulder in reassurance. "Do you know what I am, Thomas?" In the light, you can see Lawrence's face, which looks startling more crank-like than before. Thomas, smartly, does not try to answer the question. Lawrence leans in toward Thomas and you cringe for Thomas as he whispers in his ear. You're not sure what he said but you can tell it's not what Thomas expected. Lawrence takes a step back and continues speaking loud enough for you to hear. "That means, I don't take unnecessary risks. Why should I trust you?" Thomas thinks for a moment then responds, "I can help you. If you can get me through those walls, I can get you what you need." You look at Thomas, confused, what could he possibly get for this man? Lawrence has the same question, "And what is it, that you think I need?" Thomas looks at the life-support bag hooked up to Lawrence then says, "Time, every last drop of it." Lawrence nods then looks at Gally, and says, "Is that what I need." You shake your head, confused, but unable to say anything. "We're getting something we both want," Thomas adds. Lawrence smiles, then says, "I'll tell you what. Two can go for now. The rest stay here with me. Just a little insurance that you find your way back. We have a deal?" Thomas thinks for a second, then shakes Lawrence's outstretched hand. Lawrence smiles, "Gally, Show 'em the way."