Pt 21:

*Newt's POV*

I wake up before anyone else, (y/n) is still sleeping, her head on my chest. I look around and see Winston, he's writhing on the ground, groaning. I should probably go check on him but I don't want to wake (y/n). Very slowly, I lift her head and gently rest it on a bag. She stirs a little but quickly falls back to her peaceful sleep. I walk over to Winston, the writhing has stopped but now he's panting for breath. "Winston, What's wrong?" That feels like a stupid question to ask, but I couldn't think of anything else. "Everything... Hurts... I'm on fire..." He manages to say through wheezing breaths. I cautiously lift up his shirt, and I have to hold my stomach at the sight. Where the Cranks had scratched at him had created a huge festering wound, and dark veins are stretching out from it. It almost looks like some of the spots on a Crank. But that can't be, Janson said we were immune. "Just hold on a little longer, once we get to the mountains, The Right Arm or whatever can help you alright." Winston just nodded in reply. "Do you need some water or food?" "I... I can't... It hurts..." "You need to at least drink some water, or you'll die of dehydration." "I'm dying anyway." "No you're not, you're going to be fine." I hand him the water bottle and watch as he struggles to drink it. We can't really turn into Cranks, can we? Winston finally falls back to sleep and I walk over to (y/n). For the first time, I notice her new clothes, they look good on her. But of course, a potato sack would look good on her. But then I see she's crying. She's got something in her hand, is that a picture frame? I sit by her and she doesn't even acknowledge me. "What's wrong love?" She. Looks at me and her face is covered in tear stains, and she shakes her head. "Come here." I open my arms and she falls into my embrace. I look at the picture she's holding, it's just of three people, is that her family? Why is this such a big deal? After a minute or so she finally speaks, "The woman in the picture, she was the crank that attacked me." The realization hit me like a wall. These really were real people, not just crazed monsters. Would Winston turn into one of those things?

*Your POV*

You finally get enough of a hold on yourself to explain to Newt what was wrong. The two of you sit there in silence for a few minutes, you still in Newts arms. The rest of the boys begin to wake up and soon you're on your way again. Your leg still screams in pain with every step, but you got shot so that's completely normal...right? Winston is in such bad shape now, that he needs to be carried on a sort of makeshift stretcher. About mid-day everyone stops for a bite to eat. Although every time you guys stop, you eat less and less, trying to get the food to last as long as possible. In the last few minutes of the break, you and Newt wonder off to get a good look at the mountains. Of course, you don't go far, you're smarter than that. "You never told us how you got out of the maze." Newt said after only a few seconds of silence."Oh, wow I kinda forgot about that." "Yeah, we've all been a bit busy." You both laugh at this. "Well, I was cornered by there Grievers, I had jumped onto of one of them, stabbing it, when it rolled over pinning me to the ground. It was about to take its final shot, when the ground dropped out from under me, leaving the Grievers and the maze behind. I walked through the halls when..." A gunshot cuts you off. You and Newt look at each other for a second, then make a mad dash for the rest of the boys. When you arrive, Thomas and Fry are wrestling a gun away from Winston. They finally take charge of the gun and take a step back to reveal a screaming writhing Winston. "What the bloody hell is happening?" Newt says, "This crazy shank just tried to shoot himself!" "Winston is that true?" "I'm not dying Newt, you're right. I'm turning into a crank." Silence. "Please Newt, you have to understand, I don't want to become one of those things, I could kill you guys and not even know it." This time Thomas speaks up, "No, we can't just let you kill yourself! We're close, once we get to the mountains, we'll find help." Winston just looks helplessly up at Newt and says, "Please, don't let me turn into one of those things." Silently, Newt takes the gun from Thomas and places it into Winston's hands. "Thank you."