Until the Sun Dies

"I'm sorry for how I treated you. I got mad because I was scared, I am scared. I can't lose you. And I know you feel the same way, and trying to leave you behind was selfish. You're completely right, I wasn't thinking of what it would do to you." Newts words drive out all of the sadness and hurt that you felt before. "No matter what happens, what dangers we face, we're going to face them together. We started this together, we may as well finish that way too. This is not only the fight for our own lives but for Minho's and everyone else who WICKED has hurt. It's not just about us anymore." Newt nods in agreement. After a moment of thought, Newt speaks up. "There's no going back now. We probably won't be walking away from this one." Newt pauses and you have to bite your lip to keep away unwanted tears as the sadness filling Newt's voice allow the weight of his words to truly sink in. He takes your hand in his, filling you with a sense of warmth then says "Just know I'll love you til the sun dies." You nod and smile at him, "Til the sun dies." You and Newt agree to go back to the car, where you find the Fry and Thomas have already fallen asleep. You and Newt climb into the trunk of the car and you talk for a while about plans and the last city. A shrill, cold sound in the distance startles you and you look around to find the source. A lump rises to your throat as your imagination takes over, showing you all sorts of horrid things that may be creeping and prowling in the ever-growing shadows. You jump as you feel a touch on your elbow, then sigh in relief remembering that Newt is the one behind you. You turn around to smile at him, then your heart drops as fear grips you once more. A crank is in the trunk of the car where Newt should be. You try to scream but the fear takes a hold of your vocal cords preventing any sound from escaping. You kick the crank in the face, temporarily disorienting it and you reach for the latch of the trunk. Your hands are shaking in terror as you try helplessly to open the latch. You feel yourself be yanked back by the cruel diseased hands of the crank, its nails digging into the skin on your back sending an all too familiar burning pain coursing through your back. You cry out in pain sending an elbow into the cranks gut. You kick the window, shattering the glass and you crawl through the window, shards of glass embedding themselves into your torso. You land on the ground painfully only to find that you are completely surrounded by bloodthirsty cranks.

Panicked and in pain, you start throwing punches but you are quickly overpowered. You're now lying flat on your back, trying your best to fight but failing miserably. One of the cranks looks you directly in the eye, then surprisingly it speaks, "Y/n, it's ok." You look back at the crank in confusion. "Wake up y/n." A crank to your left says. "Come on y/n, I made breakfast." Says a crank to your right. Your head starts to hurt as confusion floods your mind. The second crank slowly moves closer to you so you send the hardest punch you can flying into its face. Then the scene changes. Instead of three cranks, Newt, Fry, and Thomas are gathered around you, although Thomas is doubled over, his hands covering his nose. You look at the boys in confusion. "What happened?" "You had a bit of a nightmare," Newt says stifling a laugh as Thomas lets out a groan of pain. "Sorry." You say sheepishly. Thomas groans again and Fry bursts out laughing, causing Thomas to playfully punch Fry in the shoulder. Although Fry was a little closer than Thomas anticipated, and Fry yelps in pain. The next thing you know Thomas and Fry are wrestling playfully. You shake your head in teasing disapproval. Once the boys finally get tired Fry handed out some food and you ate in silence trying to not think about your dream. Unconsciously your hand moves to feel the scars on your back. This provides a small amount of comfort, the scares haven't changed if anything they've gotten better. Unfortunately, Newt noticed and is now giving you a worried look. For the time being you ignore it but you know he's gonna ask about it later. Once everyone finishes their food you all pile into the car and continue on your journey. Fry is driving like a maniac, Newt is in his favorite seat (shotgun), and Thomas is sitting in the back with you. Thomas's mood seems to have changed drastically from his playful self earlier. Now he's just staring glumly out the window, playing with the wood figure Chuck gave him. You see sadness and hopelessness in his eyes, something you haven't seen from him before. It's so unlike him. You know he's thinking about Chuck, and possibly thinking about how, just like Chuck, he couldn't save Minho. You're not sure what to say. There's still a chance of saving Minho, but the parallels between the two boys are all too similar.