Pt 27:

The impact never comes. You look up and see that you are safe in Newt's arms. Newt pulls you into a hug and your heart rate begins to normalize. You take a deep breath once more, then get forcefully knocked down by something behind you. You land directly on top of Newt and feel the pressure of someone else on top of you. You had forgotten that Frypan was crossing the zipline right behind you. "Sorry guys!" Fry shouts as he gets up off of you. Laughing, you roll over off Newt. You stand up and hold out a hand for Newt. Once you're both standing you move out of the way just in time for Teresa to come soaring into the room. Everyone looks expectantly to the hole in the wall for Thomas and Brenda, but nothing happens. You keep waiting. Still nothing. Then the building you had just been in explodes. You look first to Newt, then to Jorge. He's silent for a minute then says. "Let's go." "What? What about Thomas? And Brenda of course." Frypan says worry dripping from his voice. "If they survived, then they're heading the same direction we are. There are tunnels they can follow, to a small town, we'll meet them there." Jorge says. Even though he's putting on a tough face, you can tell he's worried about Brenda. Jorge turns and begins leading the way out of the building. Newt grabs your hand and the two of you follow Jorge, along with the rest of the group. No one says a word. You look around at the group. Teresa looks miserable. Frypan keeps glancing back as if he'll see Thomas walking around the corner. Minho's face is unreadable, but still, you know he's worried about Thomas. Aris is doing the same as you, your eyes meet and you give him a sad smile that he returns. You can't see Jorge's face, but his body language shows that he's deep in thought. You look up at Newt. He's biting his lip, also deep in thought. Thomas is his best friend. They had to be ok, it just didn't feel right, almost surreal. Finally, you reach the ruined building's front door, that is, what's left of it. Here, Jorge says "We'll rest here, and keep moving in the morning. We have to wait for these wicked people to go away before we can move." Everyone nods silently and finds a corner to sleep in. You curl up next to Newt. Almost immediately he says "Something's up with that Teresa girl." You nod and he continues "She seems like she knows Thomas. I didn't get to hear her conversation with him, but the way he protected her, and how distraught she looks..." He didn't finish his sentence, but you knew what he meant. "I agree." You say as you slowly drift off to sleep to the familiar sound of Newt's heart beating. You wake up to light shining peacefully through the holes in the walls. You're the first one awake. You look around the room at everyone's faces, they look so calm and peaceful compared to last night. You start to wonder about Thomas and Brenda. Could they really be truly gone? Or is Jorge right, cloud they have made it out? You feel Newt start to shift awake and smile up at him. "Morning (y/n). You don't happen to have any food, do you?" "If I had my backpack, but I think I left it in the other building." Newt smiles then pulls something from behind his back. "My backpack! How'd you get it?" "I saw it when we were running out of there and I figured you may want it." "Thank you so much!" You start digging through the bag and find the bag of tray mix and you share it with Newt. Of course, it's horribly stale but it's food all the same. About now, everyone starts to wake up and pull out food of their own. You look over at Teresa, her clothes a ratty with holes, and she doesn't have any food. You look up at Newt, then say "I'll be right back." He nods and you walk over to her. You hand her one of the packs of trail mix and she thanks you. You sit down across from her then say, "I've got some extra clothes if you'd like. I found them at the mall but never wore them." Then you add with a chuckle, "I had nowhere to change away from the boys." She laughs then says, "That's really kind of you, thank you. What was it like being with just boys for so long?" "Well ever since I lost my memory and was put in the maze, I've hardly seen any girls, so it just kinda feels normal now." You say, and Teresa nods thoughtfully. You hand her the clothes, and she gets up to go change, but before she leaves she asks, "Do you think Thomas will be ok?" "I don't know. Jorge seems to think so, but it's hard to say." She nods then replies "Yeah. I knew him before he went up into that maze, we were really good friends." You nod, then decide to tease her a bit. "Just friends? You sure." You give her a playful smile. She chuckles then says, "It may have been a little more than 'just friends'." You laugh and she walks away to go change. You sit back down next to Newt and wait until it's time to leave. While you wait you start mulling over everything Teresa said. She's from WICKED, but she remembers times before the maze. You remembered little things, but nothing like a bug memory like that. You want to trust her, but something seems a bit off. And why would she tell you that anyway?