Chapter Forty-Two: Hollow

A few more hours had passed, and by now, everyone was dragging along. Bruno and Jewel held one another up. Some had even began to remove parts or the metal armor in order to cool down. Captain Strong and Doctor Garrett both had slowed down a lot.

Luna also had a growing heat in the suit too. She had removed the chest chassis, but left it on her arms. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail, but her bangs rested on her forehead, 'Zio, you told him it wouldn't take long to get there.' She kept her head lowered, but gave him the occasional glance as he would 'trace' the woods for any sort of movement or sign of other life, 'Why haven't we found anything yet?'

Zio huffed for a moment before rolling his shoulders, 'We're not far from it, Luna, but I'm afraid we aren't the only ones that will be attending the event.'

'You sense them too?' Fex growled lowly as he glanced up at Zio. The dark blue male cocked his head to the side as he pointed forward, 'I haven't seen any sign of spores, though.' Fex huffed as he looked around the illuminating forest, 'Zio, we're close.'

'I have for a while now, and so has Luna it seems, but I haven't seen any sign of spores. It's hard to tell what they want.' Zio had came to a halt with Fex. The two suddenly made a sharp turn and began to walk off the path, 'They haven't hurt us yet, but I feel their eyes, the ancestors voices seem to become louder the closer they have gotten. Perhaps they are refuge.' Zio was speaking out now. He hissed a bit before shaking his head, 'Either way, they'll want Luna, and right now, it might be the best place for her.' Zio looked at Fex.

Luna jumped off the Yeti quite suddenly when the two males had taken the sharp turn into the woods. She had thought they were to stay on the path, but that wasn't the case. The hybrid pushed through the thick vines that draped off the larger trees. "Fex! Zio!" Luna was trying to catch up as was everyone else. Luna could barely see through the thick weeds that surrounded them, but suddenly found herself being pulled through into a small clearing.

"HALT! Where are they going Luna? If you don't tell me right now I'll-"

"They've found it strong!" Doctor Garrett called out to them. He was one of the next few to go into the thick wooden web that circled around the nest.

"Oh my god..."

Luna stood quietly next to the Alphas. Her eyes had become dim as she looked into the blackened lake. Though, it seemed to dance, and below the surface, the black danced in a constant circle. Luna hadn't taken a step closer, and neither had Fex or Zio. It was a swarm of the Hollows. The creatures swam slowly around in the waters. The hybrid had never felt so scared. Her heart felt as it if was going to burst from her chest.

Professor Jewel and the others seemed just as concerned. They all had pressed themselves back against the walls. This wasn't somewhere that any of them wanted to be. Jewel had taken hold of Luna's hand, "Captain Strong this is insane! Do you see what is in that water? Garrett, this has to be a joke. Can't we capture a few and take them back to the ship?"

Luna shook her head, "Without a host or this water, the Hollows can't survive. I have to do it here. Zio, Fex, how did I get one last time?" Luna walked around and looked up at them. She tilted her head to the side as she spoke. Her voice had a obvious quiver to it as she spoke. The hybrid's vibrant eyes had dimmed. There was no getting out of this now.

'One of our soldiers had fallen on Earth.' Zio started, 'The Hollow had detached itself and attacked you before it died. You didn't wake up for days Luna. This isn't a game.' The large male grabbed her shoulder, 'You could be killed.'

Fex whined out. The male looked over at Strong before giving him a menacing glare. The slits in his eyes had thinned, and a growl came from his throat as he rubbed his face, 'Luna, please, don't do this on my account.'