Chapter Forty-Three: Dead Sleep

"Is she alright, Zio?"

The group had ran a good ways ahead. Upon losing them, Zio and Fex had found a giant rock that seemed to get them out of anyone's immediate view. Luna had fallen completely unconscious, and everyone was clearly afraid for her well being.

Fex was lying back against the slate like wall. Jewel was shakingly tending to his neck wounds and trying to remove the device. The woman was clearly concerned as was everyone else. The tension could be sensed, "We need proper tools to get this off Fex. If Strong catches up to us, then Fex is as good as dead." Jewel lifted his head a bit, "Hold still Fex. I'm just trying to help you."

Fex was anything but okay. The gills on his neck were burned, and with the device still tightly on, there really was no getting to it. The male was pulling, and doing his best to get it off, 'Hold still?!' The male roared down at her as it followed a harsh cough. Fex inhaled sharply, 'How's Luna?'

'She hasn't awoken, and you are not helping the matter. Calm down, and let Jewel try to remove it. They can't understand us as is.' Zio growled as he held Luna close to him. His fingers traced through her hair as he observed the Hollow. It wasn't dying, that was a good sign, and it had began to change into a vibrant gold to camouflage in her hair, 'We're off track, and if we are out here when the sun rises, we're all dead.' Zio laid Luna down against a tree. He stood up and looked around, his mouth expanded as he let out a frustrated snarl. Obviously he was angry. There was no getting around that really, and the only one that could calm him had gone unconscious.

'Zio..'

'What now, Fex?!' Zio turned around, suddenly going stiff as he felt a sharp point press to his neck. He held his hands up, growling lowly. The male turned to glance, seeing that they were surrounded by other homebound Irinaut's, but they were not infected.

'Veden?'

'Zio, Class A Irinaut of the main division. Orginally sent to the green planet in order to obtain female's for potential breeders for a Queen.' The male spoke calmly, slowly gesturing to Luna with his hand, 'We have another injured Irinaut. We are in need of immediate assistance.'

"What the hell are they saying Jewel?" Bruno pushed down on one of the blades, "Get this out or I'll shove so far up your arse-"

"Bruno!"

The Irinaut's that had a blade to Zio's throat soon brought it down. None of them matched him in height, and few had as many hollows attached. The one who had Zio at the sharp end of the blade only had three in a row that ran across his forehead and dangled lazily across the top of his head. He was about the closest one to Zio's height. He had a brand on his chest a single triangle, but with half circles taking up the middle of each side. 'Alpha Zio, it's been a while.'

'Indeed it has.' The males grabbed ahold of one another's hands and held tightly. It seemed to be a sort of greeting, 'We've returned with a Queen.' Zio stated, 'She is in need of aid, and as are these people. They helped us bring her here, but not all of them are good.' Zio looked at Fex, 'Fex has been wounded as well, and shelter is necessary before morning arrives."

He looked at the group as Zio spoke. It seemed that they were social beings, and could recognize one another quite well. The male held up his hand, seeming to gesture that they follow, 'This way then. We can't wait much longer.' He looked at Luna. The male walked over and leaned down to touch, but Zio had no interest in that.

Zio picked her up and held her against his cheet. The male's golden green eyes gave a bright flash, and the gills on his neck rose, 'I can take it from here. Just lead the way. Please.' He looked back at the group, gesturing for them to follow as he walked behind the other Irinaut.

Fex sped up behind them. He looked up at Zio curiously before looking at Luna, 'Is she alright, Zio?' The midnight blue male ran his fingers through her hair, 'It hasn't rejected her. Right?'

Jewel walked next to Bruno. Sam and Ian were in the back with two warriors, boasting about weapons, asking questions they knew couldn't be answered without Luna to aid, but everyone meant quite well. The Irinaut's didn't seem to like the enthusiasm though and walked ahead a few ways.

"Do you think they are going to kill us?" Jewel hugged her frame as they walked. The female let out a heavy sigh as she looked down at the ground.

Bruno scoffed. He grabbed ahold of her shoulder before giving a light pull, "Jewel, as much as I hate to say it, we gotta trust Zio and Fex. Even if they are slimey reptiles sometimes, isn't that right Fex?"

Fex hissed, his red eyes blazed, 'Oh fuck off you ant.' He huffed as he poked his chest, 'You're not funny.' Fex and Bruno had seemed to butt heads quite easily, but in this instance, they both laughed, but for Fex it followed a cough, 'You'd taste like nothing but fat anyway.'

'Fex.'

'What? He can't hear me.' His head cocked to the side as he looked down at Bruno, who was still laughing, 'You not think he would?'

Zio grunted, 'I think we should consider a different topic because they can.' He looked at the other Irinaut's. One thing we for certain.

The alpha was rather formal compared to Fex. Who really didn't care around the humans really. They frustrated him, and he wondered why Zio put up with them. Fex had a hard time trusting them for several reasons, but the few here, he was learning to trust, 'So, how far from the cave? I'd like to get this thing off.'

'Not far now, but quarantine is separated from the main nest. I will not risk the colony for anyone. Everyone will undergo a infection test. If your Queen awakes, we'll go from there.'

'Nest? Colony? How many Irinaut's are clean of the infection?' Zio cocked his head to the side as he let out a curious growl, 'Did other units succeed?'

'We don't know. Your Queen, she is hybrid of those beings? Do they worship her as well?' The Irinaut male looked at Luna, 'Very small Queen.'

'Just because she is small doesn't mean she can't handle herself.' Fex huffed, 'She is born of queen blood. I'm certain you'll respect her as much as we do.' Fex chuckled lightly at the comment about the humans, 'I mean, at this point I think they would follow anyone. Especially on Home World.'

The leading Irinaut came to a halt as a sudden settle of stairs that declined into the ground made of a stone looking material, 'This way, Alpha.' He gestured for Fex and Zio, but seemed to return a comment, 'Oh and Fex,'

'Hm?'

'That is if she is to wake up.'