Chapter Seventeen: Chocolate Kisses

*Hey everyone! I'm sorry it took so long for me to get this chapter out. I'm dealing with some family stuff so my writing time has been coming in spurts. Also longer chapters take me longer to edit and publish, so if y'all are okay with the wait, I'm going to keep doing it this way. If you would prefer a shorter chapter--and therefore a shorter wait time--let me know and I'll start doing that instead. Just let me know what you'd prefer and enjoy the chapter!*

...

Taehyung expects to stop at the small café in town for lunch. Yet, when the two walk past the building, he looks up at Jungkook in confusion. The raven-haired boy has a purpose in his gaze, and determination in stride, so Taehyung doesn't question it. He just clings to Jungkook's hand, enjoying the afternoon sun that peeks through the wispy clouds in the sky. Taehyung tries hard not to notice the stares of the people in town, instead he focuses on Jungkook's hand engulfing his, and the broad, muscular, forearm that brushes against his own. There are so many differences between Taehyung and Jungkook. Jungkook has dark hair that isn't quite black but not just brown. In the sun, there's highlights of auburn and chestnut; hidden hues that brighten Jungkook's dark eyes. Taehyung has dyed blond hair of honey-colored hues and hazel eyes. They are night and day. Jungkook is muscular and broad, Taehyung is lean and lithe, his body looks so small and delicate next to the buffer man. Yet Taehyung prefers it that way. He likes how Jungkook's body towers over his own and how small he makes him feel without making him feel weak. Safe. That is the word that comes to mind when he looks at Jungkook. He makes Taehyung feel safe.

The two make it back to the manor quicker than before; mostly because there is no tree-climbing or prancing through the woods. Jungkook instantly leads Taehyung to the kitchen, a small smile on his face as he releases Taehyung's hand.

"Wait here a moment?" Jungkook suggests before Taehyung nods immediately. Jungkook wanders over to the main chef whom he met earlier in the day and taps his shoulder. The elder man turns around, his grey eyebrows spurting up in surprise when he sees Jungkook at his back.

"Yes, sir, what can I do for you?" the chef questions and Jungkook bows his head respectively.

"I was wondering, sir, if I may borrow your kitchen for a few minutes?" Jungkook asks, and the man's unwieldy brows rise even more, his wrinkled face quirking with amusement.

"You? Cook? In MY kitchen?"

"Yes, please, I'd like to make some lunch for Taehyung and me," Jungkook explains quietly, and the chef follows Jungkook's soft gaze to the anxious Taehyung. He can tell the boy hasn't had a good day, for the look on his face is one of wary sadness and not the cheerful joy he saw earlier.

"Of course. If it will make Taehyung happy..." the chef murmurs, patting Jungkook's shoulder in a familial gesture, "There's some extra cake in the fridge as well that you boys are welcome to help yourself to. I can give you an hour?"

"An hour is perfect. Thank you so much!" Jungkook says gratefully, again bowing to the chef as he takes off his apron.

"I think I'll go catch up on my shows. Holler if you need anything," the man chimes, ruffling Taehyung's hair on the way out the door. Taehyung looks at Jungkook with wide confused eyes.

"What's going on?" he asks when Jungkook wanders back over to him. He takes Taehyung's hand and leads him to a barstool by the island bar.

"Sit," Jungkook commands, and Taehyung does as he's told while Jungkook rolls up his sleeves, exposing veiny muscular forearms that Taehyung tries not to drool over, "I'm going to make us some lunch. Does that sound good?"

"Wait...really?" Taehyung murmurs as Jungkook turns to the fridge and pops it open. He sees it is well stocked—there are a lot of guests visiting—and finds the ingredients he needs for a simple grilled chicken wrap. Taehyung watches as Jungkook cooks, admiring the way he moves around the kitchen with ease.