Chapter Twenty-Four: The Truth

Taehyung has never dreaded going to the library. He's never been scared of the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves, large windows, and immaculate furnishings that showcases centuries of Harding family. But now, as Taehyung and Jungkook stand in front of the heavy ominous oak doors, Taehyung is scared witless. He stares at the golden knobs, his trembling hand instinctively moving towards it...and then to Jungkook. A deep sigh slips Taehyung's lips as Jungkook looks down at the smaller boy, pulling him into a tight and supportive embrace.

"You'll be okay, love," Jungkook gently reassures before Taehyung rests his forehead against Jungkook's chest.

"I'm so scared that everything is going to change after this..." Taehyung admits, leaning into Jungkook's touch as the boy runs his hands up and down Taehyung's back, the fabric of his mint-green-striped shirt moving with each caress of Jungkook's hands.

"Things will change. They'll be different, but that doesn't make you any different. You're still the cute Taehyung I've come to know and care for," Jungkook says, kissing the top of Taehyung's fluffy hair, "And I know you're strong enough to get through this,"

"I wish I had the same confidence in me that you do," Taehyung mumbles and Jungkook laughs softly, the sound of it reverberating through his chest and against Taehyung's ear. He finds comfort in Jungkook's arms that he never found before. A safe place to be insecure and be exposed, and yet still gain the confidence needed to face his family. For that, Taehyung will always be grateful.

"All right...let's do this before I chicken out completely," Taehyung whispers, pulling out of Jungkook's embrace and immediately reaching for the doorknob. What is a matter of seconds for Taehyung to turn the knob and push the door open feels like an eternity; each inch of his arm and second of time passing by feels like forever until finally, he sees his grandmother sitting in the main seating area of the library, a small array of breakfast items on the table beside her with a cup of tea in her withered hands. She looks up at Jungkook and Taehyung, flashing them both a supportive smile which has Taehyung letting out the breath he didn't know he was holding. 

All of his tension seems to melt as he reminds himself that this is his grandmother. The woman who taught him Korean when everyone around him spoke English. Who showed him how to properly use chopsticks and make a proper Korean meal. She embraced his home culture as much as she showed him how to survive in the British one, giving him all the love and nourishment and support that his own mother never would. She was the only family member who never condemned him for being gay or unique or different. She loves him unconditionally, and for that, he is eternally grateful.

"There you are, Taehyungie. I thought you were avoiding me," Ann Marie chimes, her face blazing with a light that surprises Jungkook. This woman is much older, her body weighed down with years and the stress of raising a family and holding herself to the high standards of being a Harding woman. Even now, she wears a navy blue turtleneck sweater tucked into a pair of white trousers and heels. She holds herself with an air of elegance that demands respect, and yet the kindness that pools in her eyes as Taehyung walks into the library just shows what Jungkook already thought. This woman truly cares about her grandson.

Her eyes wander from Taehyung to Jungkook then to their joined hands before her red-painted lips curl into a happy grin, "My goodness aren't you two just so adorable. Pastel looks good on you, Taehyung," she adds while Jungkook and Taehyung make their way to the sitting area. Jungkook sits first, guiding Taehyung down beside him, never once releasing the blond boy's hand because Taehyung wouldn't want that.

"Thank you, Grandma. I'm glad you think so," Taehyung quietly says as he perches on the couch next to Jungkook. Ann Marie sets down her teacup, pouring another one for Taehyung and Jungkook. She hands them the cups before letting out a soft sigh.