Chapter 8 Addison

The entire ride home I couldn't stop thinking about what having access to my wings before choosing day could mean for me. I am already a huge target and this is just the icing on the cake. On our drive home my mom realized she forgot her phone at work, and instead of dragging me all around town she dropped me off and went back to her work by herself. Unfortunately with her leaving to get her phone, it leaves me to contemplate all my questions that are slowly accumulating.

I walk up the small pathway to our 2 story grey bricked house, I step up onto our worn down wooden porch and walk over to our porch swing. I fluff up the pillows to my liking, and slowly relax into the cushions. Even though it's the beginning of April, I've always enjoyed the cooler months and I've found that my body doesn't react as much to the cold. Could my body just be used the cold simply because its designed to fly at higher altitudes? Another question to be added to my growing list of questions to ask my mom. I hear the front door open and i raise my head to see my dad walk out with 2 mugs in his hands. Or I guess I should say step father, since my biological father is a crazy psychopath.

"Hey sweetie thought you could enjoy this." he hands me the cup with a slight smile. I grab the cup from his hands and blow slowly on the surface so as not to make the liquid spill over the sides. I smile at him as he takes a seat beside me and mumble a thank you. 

"So your brother tells me that mom came and took you at of school early, any particular reason?"he glances at me from the corner of his eyes with a slight smirk on his face. I don't know how much my mother told him and it could be really bad if i accidentally said something she wanted to keep a secret.

"I think we should wait for mom to have this talk, I hope you understand." he chuckles softly and turns his body slightly towards me. "Your definitely your mothers daughter that is for sure." I feel the corners of my lips slightly rise up but I don't comment further. "After today I'm not really sure who either of us truly are." 

"No matter what your mother is your mother and she loves you very much, and would do anything to keep you safe. Always remember that Addy." I look back at him and nod my head, and with that said he stands up.  'Maybe it's time to show her.'  My eyes scrunch in confusion, "Show me what dad?" he looks startled but it quickly morphs into a smile.

"Addy I hadn't said that out loud, but I'm guessing since you heard my thoughts means it's finally time to show you. Come on sweetheart follow me." and with that said he walks back into the house leaving me on the porch swing. I quickly get up and follow him through our house, hot chocolate quickly forgotten and left outside. He leads me into his office and once we are at the door he gestures for me to go in first, as he quickly follows behind me, and shuts the door. Once the door is locked he walks over to his floor to ceiling book shelf, he moves a few things around and when he turns back around to face me he is no longer empty handed. In his hands rests a small wooden box, he stretches out his hands offering me the wooden box.

"What's in it?" even though I am talking to my dad my eyes never once leave the box that now resides in my hands. Whatever is inside calls to me like a momma bird to her children. My fingers lightly run over the top of the box slowly tracing my name 'Addison T.' It's written in a beautiful red colour and all the letters connect in exaggerated loops, the hand writing is beautiful.

"No one knows, the box cannot be opened unless it is by you. When your mother first found it in you old house she was afraid that your father had left some weapon or magic behind in an attempt to get to you. However when she brought it before the council, after running several tests they found no dark magic. Your mother still unconvinced that it didn't have any insisted that they run more in order to find a way to open it, but they told her that the only magic present was light and they would not attempt to break the magic when it only called to you." I look back at him and see that his focus is solely on the box as well.  As another question comes forth to mind I decide that my father would probably be the more likely candidate to answer. "and the T what does it stand for?" his eyes follow the movements of my finger as it slowly traces the cursive T.

"It stands for the name Tran. It was the last name your father took on when he first met your mother. He used it as another means to trick her into believing he was who he said he was and I assume that when he had this box made for you he used your birth name." Addison Tran. I slowly mull the name over in my head and immediately decide that I do not like the name, however I grew up with the last name Dell and it's all I've ever known.  I slowly turn the box over in search of the way to open it and i find a rusted key hole located on the front of the box. I look back at my dad and ask for the key. He just shakes his head, "I'm sorry Addy but your mother never could find the key to it. I assume though that since it is linked with magic that there is another way for you to open it, you just got to find it." he smirks slightly at my scowl. He expects me to use magic I didn't even know existed up until a few hours ago in order to open a stupid box from my evil father that I've never met. Great, just great.

"I think you should be alone when you open it, so I'll be in the kitchen when your done. Good luck sweetie." and with that my stellar dad walked out of the office with a small smile on his lips, well I'm glad my frustration brings joy to one of us. I stare back at the box and wonder how I'm even going to open the stupid thing.