Chapter 33: Returning home

After I threw the book into the fountain, Garett did not ask too many questions about it. Rather, he actually helped me clean it up and helped me continue destroying the book with me.

The weeklong vacation break happened shortly afterwards. I left Exurbia Library with Charlotte. I offered Garett a ride as well since he was going home as well, but he refused saying that he had another ride prepared by his family.

It is possible that Prince Erik is on his way home as well...It was a tradition for male royalty to not see their fiancée until their coming-of-age ceremony. I found it easier to cope with seeing as though that was the case.

I plan on ending my engagement during this break with the upcoming event that happens once every year...

"Welcome home, Arielle," Mother said.

"I'm home," I said as I greeted her.

"My apologies, Young Miss," my mother's butler Sebastian said. "The Master would like to see you."

"You needed to see me, Father?" I asked him.

My father looks as cool and distant as ever. At a glance, it looks like he is expressionless. His expression changes ever so slightly if one were to carefully examine him. I never really noticed how affectionate he was until much later in my first life.

For this life, I subconsciously showed him my affection as a loving daughter many times. Thus, the dynamic of our relationship had now changed greatly.

"Yes, I should get a few matters out of the way," he said as he opened his arms.

He now greets me with a hug.

I slowly walked towards him and accidentally collided into his chest. He embraced me despite my awkward landing and pat my head gently.

"I am home, Father..."

"Welcome back."

We quickly got to serious matters. My father looked at me through a hardened gaze when we sat across from each other.

"...Father..."

So far, he has only been staring at me and not saying anything.

"My apologies for staring...You just look so much like your mother when she was your age."

This wife obsessed father of mine...Everything you say contrasts your looks too much.

"Father, maybe it is best to spend some more time with Mother?" I suggested.

"I will think about it. She asked for more dates, but I am not sure of what to do..."

Am I a marriage counselor for my parents?

"Sebastian is a very competent Butler with several children of his own. He may be able to help you with various things."

"I see..."

"...Is that all, Father?"

"No...I was just wondering how things were going with Prince Erik. I was informed that he sent you various letters and presents, and that you have yet to accept any of them. Are you displeased with the contents or the person?"

"Those kinds of things are more difficult to return once accepted..."

"Has Prince Erik dome anything to provoke you?" my father asked with a concerned expression.

Father was loyal to the King and to the Royal Family. I doubt that he would agree with my decision to break away from Prince Erik.

"I would like to end my engagement with Prince Erik."