Chapter 42: Battle

My injuries quickly healed within a few days. The bruises were slightly noticeable by then.

Instructor Gills left our class for self studies until the sports festival. I assumed it was for training herself. At the same time, the special event where I would face off against Instructor Gills became hot news from posters of the bout being seen all over campus.

"Arielle! You are facing Instructor Gills?" Charlotte asked as she badgered me early in the morning three days after I challenged Instructor Gills.

"It just so happened."

"Isn't this a bit rash?" Charlotte said worriedly.

"I will be fine."

I will be fully recovered with two more days of rest. Afterwards, I will go back to intense training.

"Still, it is a special event, right? I hope that you will let me help you with your attire and makeup."

"It is not a ball, Charlotte. I going to battle."

"A girl should still look her best at all times."

The sports festival was suddenly under its way. I was exempted from doing any particular event for my class for the main event.

I was soon dressed in a silver breastplate armor with my midriff showing, a long double slit maroon colored skirt with silver faulds on the sides, sabatons, greaves, poleyn, cuisse, and matching silver gauntlets on both arms.

I felt awkward about my midriff and my thighs being shown, but they offered the most access to movement compared to other armors that I was presented with. I tied my long hair high up and tied up the metal headpiece over my head.

Before I headed into the arena, a long shadow was waiting for me at the end of the hall.

"Are you here to stop me, Your Highness?" I asked him.

He simply kept his arms folded and his back leaned against the wall and turned his head slightly towards me.

"...I suppose that you do not need any words of encouragement?" he asked with a worried look on his face.

After his confession, he had left me alone for awhile. Only now does he show up. I liked how he respected my space. That has not changed since our first lives.

"It won't be long," I answered with a smile as I walked past him.

The arena was a five foot high stage with a diameter measurements of eighty-six meters across and fifty-four meters wide.

I was the first to arrive onto the prepared stage before Instructor Gills.

Loud cheering erupted from the stage when Instructor Gills appeared with her form fitted breast breastplate and her even more revealing clothes.

She licked her lips before she said, "This will be fun."

The announcer blew their whistle.

Instructor Gills suddenly took the first slash. I jumped back and missed by a hair. She came back with another slash from the other side. The second incoming slash had scratched my breastplate. I quickly jumped back four large steps.

"That sword doesn't have a blunt edge..."

"Oh? You noticed?"

"That is a clear violation of the rules," I said.

"You won't turn me in, won't you?" Instructor Gills said.

"...No."

"I thought so!"