Chapter 111: Fools P.1

[Past Life]

After Garett had died, I had locked myself in my room for three days without eating or drinking anything.

The memory of cradling Garett's decapitated head in my arms was still fresh in my mind. All I could do was lay in bed with my thoughts after crying too much. I could finally pull myself together after some time and decided to venture out of my room.

"Your Majesty! You have finally decided to come out of your room!" Stella said as she grabbed my hands.

"...I'm sorry for everything, Stella," I said.

"Think nothing of it...It is has been a pleasure to serve you since you were little," Stella said.

Stella had taken care of me ever since I was young. I who had lost my mother when I was at a very young age did not lack a motherly figure since Stella had always been by my side. She continued to support me even after I ascended to the being a Queen.

"...I am a bit famished," I said with a forced smile.

"I will bring you something light and easy to eat right away!" Stella said as she quickly ran off.

She soon came back with a tray of warm soup and bread.

After taking my first bite, I suddenly began crying.

"Oh, dear! Is there something wrong with the food?" Stella asked with a frantic expression.

"No, there is nothing wrong with the food," I said as I began wiping my tears with my hands. "It is just that...the food is so warm compared to what I felt before. I'm sorry...I told myself that I should not cry anymore."

Stella hugged me and brought me into her arms.

"No, it is understandable after experiencing the loss of an important friend," Stella said as she caressed my head gently.

Right...Garett was just an important friend to me, but he was also a close relative to Erik.

When I thought about how Erik must have felt after deciding to let Garett die rather than release our country's secrets, I self loathed myself even more for locking myself up and not speaking to anyone. Erik must have been in more pain and felt more alone than I did, but even I ignored his pain and decided to mourn all by myself.

"Stella, where is Erik...I mean His Majesty? I wish to meet with him and apologize to his face," I said.

Erik is my husband now, I should put all of his needs above everything...

"I will find out right away, Your Majesty!" Stella said as she scurried off.

When she came back, she had a troubled expression on her face.

"...You are back early," I said.

"...His Majesty is currently interrogating the main perpetrator behind Your Majesty's attempted kidnapping," Stella said.

That man is here...

"Stella, I would like something warm to drink after my meal," I said.

"Right away!" Stella said as she left.

I quickly snuck out of my room and went on my way to the dungeon where I knew Erik often held interrogations.

There he was...Nevel Pillar was hanging from a wooden cross.

"Oh? It is the Queen herself...To what honor do I owe for the reason for this visit?" Nevel Pillar asked.

"...For what reason did you kidnap me for?" I asked.