Chapter 97: Centaurea cyanus

When I returned to my seat, Erik arrived shortly afterwards.

"Did I make you wait long?" Erik asked.

"I just got here," I answered.

"Your posture is straighter than usual," Erik commented.

I could only laugh awkwardly at his comment.

Lunch ended rather quickly after Erik was called to escort foreign dignitaries soon after our meal together.

I thought it was good timing because I could literally feel a bruise in the shape of the book in my back.

When I returned home with the book again, I went to my room and sighed dismally as I took the book out of my dress.

The pain of having a book down my spine affected the natural curvature and brought me lasting aches. My mother stayed by my side and serenaded me with sweet poems while I had an anesthetic herb patch for my poor back.

I tried to resolute myself for the next chance I had which was two days later when Erik invited me again for afternoon tea. I waited for an opportunity to sneak into the Library when Garett was not looking. When the coast was presumably clear, I tried to make a run for it with the book in my hand.

I soon heard a loud smacking sound coming from outside of the Library.

My curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to scope the area. It was Garett standing in front of a woman a head shorter than him. She wore a simple dark green dress and had light brown hair in a braided bun. Garett's face was swollen on one side with a handprint on his face.

"...You are a disgrace," she said coldly before turning to leave.

I walked over with a freshly wet handkerchief.

"Use this over your cheek," I told him.

He quietly accepted my handkerchief and placed it against his cheek.

"...You have a terrible hobby of peeking," Garett complained.

A thank you would have been nice...

"Who was that?" I asked.

"My Mother," Garett said with a cold expression.

His Mother? They did not look anything alike. 

"Does she often hit you?" I asked.

"...I do not think it is any of your business," Garett said coldly.

This coldness is normal for someone who dislikes me and favors efficacy. I should stop getting involved with him because I am with Erik, but most importantly, the other me broke this person's heart.

As her replacement, I cannot simply rectify their severed relationship on my own terms...

"...It is true that it is none of my business. Just throw away my handkerchief when you are done with it. No need to return it," I said as I turned to leave.

I came to a stop halfway on my way back to the spot of where I was meant to meet Erik.

I felt a prickling pain in my heart.