Chapter 41: Top Student

I tried removing my bandages early in the morning. The swelling had gone down considerably from the compress I made with some herbs I boiled down yesterday.

I have to go back with this wrist?

I have such masochistic tendencies...

"Glad to see that you have joined us, Lady Arielle," Instructor Krona Gills said.

"I am ready to learn what I can," I said.

I went through the same drills yet again. This time, I used my left hand instead and found my way easily mowing through my opponents.

Even though I won, I would be heavily criticized for not following proper stances or not using my dominant hand knowing full well that I was injured.

I was soon faced with my seventh opponent in class. Instructor Gills really wanted to break me at this point. My fifth opponent had hit my right shoulder. Only now, I am faced with the pain. It was bad timing since I was close to being done with half the class. My exhaustion finally got to me and caused me to fall to one knee.

"If you forfeit now, I will have to add the other half of class," Instructor Gills said.

This will never end until I die of exhaustion...

I tried getting back up only to fall again. My opponent seemed to stop before hitting me on the head and retracted his wooden sword.

"...What do you think you are doing?" Instructor Gills asked my opponent.

"I am unable to continue..."

Of of all the students here, I least expected him to stand up for me...

"Under what reasons?" she asked.

"She has already fallen. It would be cruel to continue..."

"Finish her. If not, you will never become a Knight. I have the power to decide whether or not you become a Knight. I believe I told you all that Lady Arielle is receiving a special education because of her background."

That's the reason why they were all so compliant then...

"It's fine!" I told him. "I want to continue."

"That is the spirit!" Instructor Gills said.

"You all want to become Knights. That is your dream. My dream is to be able to protect the people I love, so it's fine," I whispered to him.

"Do not go easy on her. I will know if you do."

"I will be fine," I said with a nod. I found myself with some spare energy from that short break. Within a few minutes, I had fully regained my breath and brought my opponent down with one swing. I turned towards Instructor Gills. "I have defeated the best students in our grade level as well as our top student. That means that I have earned the right to choose my next opponent."

It was a long standing tradition by the school. The rules were mentioned in the student handbook for anyone that managed to beat the highest ten seats within their grade level were able to choose anyone within the school as their challenger. I beat far more than ten but whatever...

"That's right..." Instructor Gills said with a slightly irritated look on her face.

"I would like to exercise my right to challenge Instructor Gills," I said.

"Impertinent Little Girl!" she screamed at me.

"It is one simple match between the only female Knight teacher and her only female student. Would it not be an exciting match for the upcoming sports festival?" I asked her.