Chapter 56: Return of the Traitor

"Queen?"

"You are my Queen..."

"...Did you return to the past, Dolton?" I asked.

"I take it that you as well then...I returned to the past around fifteen years ago. My memories were just as fresh as the day I lost my life," Dolton said.

"When did you die?" I asked.

"Not long after Your Highness died with His Majesty, I was arrested for high treason. It was not until I was thrown into prison did I learn that Lady Kaya had attacked you and His Majesty with a dagger she snuck in. The Chancellor quickly took over matters concerning the state and reissued the previous King to take back his position as ruler," Dolton said.

"They put a grieving King who lost both his only son and daughter-in-law back on the throne?" I asked.

"It was an emergency situation...I do not have much knowledge of what happened afterwards since I was sent to execution along with Kaya Ouchi and her fellow perpetrators that allowed her to sneak into the castle back then...I already confirmed that she is not a returner like us, but she is oddly aware of details pertaining to several people whom are higher up in power. I never noticed it in the first life before because I was madly infatuated with her, but I believe that she has the tendencies similar to that of a spy," Dolton explained.

A spy... She is a terrible one at that.

"...Why did you betray her now?" I asked.

"...As you may have guessed, I was once in love with her. I cut off my relationship with her when I chose to serve Prince Erik for the rest of my life. She came to me one day asking for help to make amends with you before her wedding. I truly thought she had changed her ways...Never did I think that she would side with rebels and try to take your life, My Queen," Dolton said.

"...I thought you hated me," I said.

"I never hated you. I was once blinded by love and chose a side based on emotions. I saw the err of my ways when I became assigned to you. You were a far more Noble person who always lived justly. The tragedy that occurred was my fault," Dolton said as he held his forehead. "I hate myself for being so blind. If you want to exact your revenge on me, I would not blame you."

My hands twitched by my side.

I felt an incredible urge to choke him to death but held the urge in when I saw his truly remorseful face.

He came after me all this way and saved me, putting his own body in mortal peril...How could I betray those feelings now?

I helped Dolton lay down on the bed as I added on more dressings to his wounds. He was in pain and running a fever.

Thankfully, there was a facet with clean cool running water and fresh rags.

However, we were far from any signs of civilization and we were trapped inside without any way to escape.

"Can I ask why you are no longer with His Highness?" Dolton asked.

"Kaya Ouchi was aiming for my life. Prince Erik...His Highness got in the way of the blade and saved me from dying even though it was for naught. I gave into my emotions and ended myself," I said.

"That is what happened..."

"Since all of Kaya Ouchi's resentment was aimed towards me, I thought the best way to protect His Highness was separating myself from him...Do not misunderstand anything. I still love Prince Erik very dearly. I created a false relationship with my friend in order to make him give up on me. Sadly, it has yet to stop him entirely," I explained.