Chapter 64: Festival

The annual festival was a three day event. My mother and father would be attending on the first day. During the time, it would stretch over the weekend and over a holiday at the beginning of next week. I asked to meet Garett in the morning with a bit of time before they would let in tourists. For one hour, the stalls were specifically for the students.

"Did you wait long?" I asked Garett who was standing at our meeting spot twenty minutes before our supposed meeting time. "I tried to get here earlier, but curling my hair took longer than usual."

Charlotte and Grace helped curl my hair slightly and added a large red bow on the back of my head.

"It was a good thing that I arrived earlier," Garett said as he brushed his fingers through the ends of my hair. My heart began beating very fast. "The men around here would have swarmed around you if I were not here."

"D-Does this style look good on me?" I asked as I looked up at him expectingly.

He avoided my gaze for some reason.

"...Exceedingly well," he mumbled.

I am so glad that I changed my hair for today.

"Thank you..."

We soon began walking side by side around the stalls. Garett was a bit silent for the most part, but I find his silence a bit charming in its own way. If I had anything I wanted to complain about, I wanted to hold his hand the whole time.

It is not like I never held a hand before. The act of asking to hold his hand was a bit embarrassing to the me even though I was once married before.

Being a teenager again is a rather strange feeling. I feel like I could almost be overwhelmed by my feelings alone. The number of things that I want only continue increasing.

I know that I am being cherished, but I want more...

Before I knew it, I was reaching my hand out towards Garett's hand.

"Lady Arielle!" a female called out to me.

"Yes?" I answered as I quickly snapped my hand back behind my head.

Was I in trouble with the disciplinary committee for wanting to hold Garett's hand?

A group of female underclassmen quickly surrounded me.

"Lady Arielle, is this man bothering you?" one of them whispered.

Bothering?

"What makes you say that?" I asked them.

"We saw you walking beside him in silence with a distressed look on your face for some time," another one said.

I cannot exactly say that I was perplexed about how to go about holding Garett's hand...I would die from the embarrassment.

"H-He is my significant other," I said in a soft voice.

Garett seemed pretty happy from my proclamation seeing as though he had covered up his mouth to hide his smile.

"No way!" the underclassmen said in unison.

"His glasses are thick and plain!" an underclassman said.

"His hair is black and lacks style!" another underclassman complained.

Garett had the same face as Prince Erik, but the difference in treatment from our peers were like night and day.

I could say that his face was refined and the bridge of his nose was straight, or his eyelashes were long and full, or his skin was white and beautiful like porcelain. For some reason, I did not want these girls knowing Garett's good points so easily.