Chapter 71: Familiar Steps

I walked down familiar steps covered in red carpet. Below, a crowd of Nobles were chattering amongst themselves in small cliques. They took a moment to look at me and began chattering amongst themselves.

"You are the prettiest person here," Garett whispered.

I am embarrassed if he says that so easily...

"Ah, really..."

I cannot be cute in times like this...

We parted soon after walking down the stairs. I was suddenly bombarded with a large group of females.

"Lady Arielle is so beautiful today!"

"Her skin appears so milky white compared to her dress! It is lovely."

The amount of similar comments bombarding me along with the heavy use of perfume and the loud noises started to make me dizzy.

"Lady Arielle!" Grace called.

"Grace!" I said as I tried to escape the ladies. "Excuse me as I privately talk to Grace."

"It was difficult for you?" she asked with a smile on her face.

"Quite..."

"Don't mind them...They are just curious about the young Duke's Daughter that rarely appears at these kind of gatherings," she said with a light smile.

She was wearing a lovely purple dress with pink roses.

"Your purple dress is very lovely," I said.

"Thank you, My Lady! I obviously cannot compare to your dress. It is rather daring. Without your curves, I would not dare wear a similar dress."

"Garett feeds me well...Sometimes too well. I tried my best to fit in the dress."

"Heavens! Such a sinful man."

We shared a short laugh.

"Where is Charlotte?" I asked.

"Charlotte went to powder her nose."

"When was this?"

"Come to think of it, it was thirty minutes ago..."

"...Grace, you are coming with me," I said as I grabbed her hand.

We walked around quietly and watched the powder room from afar. A young Noblewoman had walked in by herself. Grace and I waited a bit behind some columns. A man with the appearance of a poorly dressed servant followed in afterwards.

"A man went in! How dare he?" Grace said.

Grace seemed as if she were about to run in. I stopped her by pulling her back.

If he were just some barbarian, he would not think of using underhanded tactics like using a servant's clothes were two sizes too small. They wanted to be hidden for a reason.

"Let's wait a bit..."

I was only slightly armed. We were both female with smaller frames, and one of us does not have training in fighting with those larger than much less than any experience at all.

The fake servant had came out moments later with a large body sack over his shoulders.

"When can we intervene?" Grace asked.

Grace was growing increasingly impatient...

"Soon...Let's see where they are being taken. Charlotte may be there too," I said.

As expected, he led us straight to a storage room a short distance away from the hall.

"My head feels dizzy..." Grace said as she leaned against a column in front of the man.