n i n e

The next day I was quite distant from everyone at school. The only thing on my mind was what had occurred last night. It had been quite a while since he was angered that much. I guess everyone in our family has been picking up old habits.

As my friends and I walked into the diner, I looked around. We had to pass Xander's table and when we were about to, they all glanced up at me and smiled. I gave them a fake smile, which nobody at school had even caught. Xander's eyebrows furrowed as he studied me and I quickly stared at the ground, hoping he didn't think anything of it.

We sat down and I got a salad and my regular 'sad days' drink which was just a hot chocolate but it reminded me of him and would instantly brighten my day.

I studied the group at my table as they all chatted. They all were putting on fake smiles and acted as if they cared when someone talked about personal issues. The only time their smiles and giggles were real was when talking about the new gossip they've heard.

I looked around for Jackie, wondering if I could see my hot chocolate and I saw her standing next to Xander. I watched them as he handed a slip of paper and she nodded in agreement before walking towards me.

She's a little old for his number but okay then. Whatever floats his boat.

He saw me staring at him and winked, causing a small smile to play on my plump lips.

"Here you go, hun," Jackie handed me my meal and I thanked her. Before she left, she slipped the paper Xander previously gave her, into my hand.

I looked at folded paper as if it was about to catch on fire. What the fuck? I discretely opened it, not causing any attention from my table towards me.

'What's wrong? Text me. I know Alex gave you my number.'

Just reading the note made a small smile form on my lips. Nobody had even questioned if I was alright today, even as I was spacing out in class.

I pulled out my phone as I started to eat my salad. I went to the very end of my contacts list and pressed his name, still amused Alex put a kissy emoji and a heart next to it.

I erased the kiss but kept the heart. The black heart matched his aesthetic, that's all. Yeah. Right.

Me:
Nothing's wrong. why?

I glanced back at his table to see everyone crowding around his phone. Oh boy.

Xander 🖤:
-I know a fake smile when I see one June
-Elijah also said you weren't drinking your drink. whatever that means

I chuckled lightly and began texting back.

Me:
-It wasn't fake I'm just tired
-And tell Elijah today just wasn't a strawberry type of day

My friends noticed I was indulged in my phone and brought my attention back to them. I sat my phone aside and ate my salad, talking every once in a while. When we were about to leave I looked at Xander's table, only to find them having left already. I sighed sadly. I was hoping to talk to them again as they're quite fun compared to my group. I brought my phone out only to see I had a fuck ton of notifications from him.

Xander 🖤:
-I'll figure out whatever's wrong tonight
-This is Elijah. Wtf it's ALWAYS a strawberry type of day
-Alex here. Not surprised Xander was the first person from us you text ;)
-Hiiiiiiiii bestie you look cute today <3
-Jesus Christ they're all fucking annoying

I loudly laughed causing my friends to look at me confused. I waved them off, solely focusing on replying.

Me:
-No your friends are great. Tell them all I said hiii
-And you're not going to find out anything tonight considering I've only told you the truth so ;)