t h i r t y t w o

Juniper's pov:

Once it was the desired choice of time Xander told me, I left the room. My mind was clouded with depressing thoughts at Xander's change in attitude. As soon as he opened his messages, it was like he hid behind his façade- the façade he uses for people he doesn't trust.

The quiet steps of mine were the only sounds to be heard as I walked into the living room. The boy was already situated in one of the loveseats, his eyebrows knitted as he was hunched over his phone with an intense expression. Was it a girl he was texting? My mood dampened at the thought.

After a few moments, Xander noticed me and stood up. He took in my appearance and I didn't have to be asked twice to do the same. The outfit was quite similar to usual school days but had a slight rougher and edgier touch to it. The black pulp fiction tee and black skinny jeans were paired with not only vans but a variety of jewelry, somehow fueling his attractiveness even further.

 The black pulp fiction tee and black skinny jeans were paired with not only vans but a variety of jewelry, somehow fueling his attractiveness even further

I had decided on an outfit that could reflect my mood, hoping others would get the hint that I did not want to be fucked with. I had on a tight black crop top covered by an oversized jacket. Those were paired with ripped skinny jeans and some doc martens.

However as I flickered my eyes from myself to Xander, I realized that my decision might not have been the best

However as I flickered my eyes from myself to Xander, I realized that my decision might not have been the best. We looked like a couple. A fucking edgy couple. A minuscule laugh escaped me and I expected him to respond with a witty remark. Yet once he understood why I laughed, his eyes widened to the slightest extent before rolling. Without even a smile, he walked towards the door and motioned for me to follow. With sunken shoulders, I complied.

The duration of the drive was consumed by uncomfortable silence. During the first half of the car ride, I had attempted to make him forget whatever or whoever it was that made him frown. I hated seeing him- who deserves the world- be hated by that same very world. But, Xander shut down every single conversation starter. Eventually, I took the hint and shut up.

By the time we made it to the party, it was already in full swing. The two of us stepped out of the car and made it up the driveway. When we were near the garages, I saw Alex run out of his house and with wide eyes scan the area. As soon as he saw us, the nervous expression somehow transformed into terror. "Oh fuck you guys are already here."