e i g h t e e n

"So, what are we going to do this halloween? It's in a week." Roxi fired the question as soon as I sat down at our usual table during lunch.

They all shrugged and looked at me. "I don't know. I was probably just going to hand candy to the little kids on my block." I always thought it was so cute seeing all the kids in their scary costumes.

Layla rolled her eyes, "Lame. I think we should all go to Alex's party he's having."

This caught my attention and I stared at her in surprise, "You got invited?"

She played with her blonde wavy hair as her cheeks reddened in embarrassment. "No but it's not like they wouldn't let me in. You know the type of people they are, they'd give anything to be popular." I looked at her like she grew eight heads. They are literally the complete fucking opposite of what she just commented.

"True. Anyways yeah we should totally go," Cassie chimed in as she sat back down with her lemonade. All three nodded their heads while I shook mine.

"Don't you guys remember what my mom said the last time we were at a party. She won't think twice before kicking me out." They all rolled their eyes and glanced at eachother.

"She wasn't being serious. And besides, your dad is the sweetest he wouldn't let that happen." Oh boy, how wrong you are.

Roxi saw I still wasn't convinced and sat up more, "Junie." My eyes flickered towards her. "I feel like you don't care about us anymore. It's like one minute you were always hanging out with us and the next you're making up excuses so you don't have to be around us. If you don't want to be our friends just tell us. All we want to do is hang out with our bestfriend. If you don't go to the party with us, I guess that just shows your true intentions."

Her speeches causes my heart to drop. The disappointed expressions they all had made me feel absolutely terrible. I didn't want my mom mad at me but I also wanted to keep my friends. "No no i'll go with you guys. I want to go." I rushed out, hoping they would be fine with that answer.

Roxi and Cas excitedly responded while Layla smirked. When she noticed my staring, her expression immediately changed to a happy grin. I didn't think much of it and instead focused on making my best friends happy.

The rest of the group came and sat at the table. Everyone chatted and ate during this time while I quietly munched on my strawberries.
When it was time to leave, Layla spoke to us, "So do you guys want to go together after school to find out outfits?"

Roxi and Cas nodded and began talking to her about the plans for tonight. That's when I realized Layla didn't care if I'd go or not. Shit she's probably annoyed i'm still standing there with them.

I rolled my eyes and walked off, hoping one of my bestfriends would realize and call me back over. But they didn't. I scoffed and pushed open the diner doors to go to my car. Once in, I clenched my hands around the steering wheel. They claim that i'm the one distancing myself when they spend every second with that bitch?

I drove back to school and went to Government. Walking in, I looked for Elijah and waved at him. He gave me a slight head nod and zoned back out, obviously not sober at the moment.

The school day continued with me focusing completely in my classes. At home, my parents didn't even glance in my direction and I was grateful for it. At least it meant I couldn't get in trouble for making a little mistake.

• • •

It was my last class of the day on Wednesday and I was ready to leave. However, I had to solely focus on the class work and not get distracted.