t w e n t y f i v e

Xander's pov:

"Look, she's homeless."

Oliver chuckled and shook his head, "quit fucking with us. What's actually wrong with Juniper?" When the waitress continued sitting there silently just twisting her ring, the smile dropped from his face.

Everyone gazed at me, awaiting for my reaction. My mind was running absolutely wild and I wanted to burn this building down in anger. Yet, I sat there with a neutral but seemingly cold expression. "Go on."

She took her hand off the piece of jewelry and rubbed her face. "It's been a week from today that she began sleeping in here but no doubt it's been longer. When she came in she was terrified of me kicking her out, I just had to help her. The nights I didn't work though, she had to find somewhere else to go. That's what she had to do last night and it was clear she had to stay outside all night based on her cold.

"I've never once asked her anything too personal so I'm not that much help. I always wondered though. She seemed too sweet of a girl to get kicked out. Because of that I always thought you know, was she kicked out for being gay? Did she simply have no one? Had her family lost their home? But I never pushed her for those answers.

"However, when Jackie found out she was temporarily staying here, she told me that sweet girl had a slap mark on her face when she came in once. Whoever did that is a disgrace to humanity. I can tell you care about her so please protect her from those ruthless people who hurt and left her alone in this cruel world." She grabbed my hand and squeezed it before sniffling and walking off.

All of us were speechless. I couldn't believe she was going through that for multiple weeks and I never saw the signs. Looking back, it was pretty fucking clear.

She stopped going to the parties that were mandatory by her parents, she was always deathly terrified of her dad, her snappy attitude towards everyone but us, how she would say she kept falling asleep in class, her wardrobe did a full 180 like she didn't care about her appearance or her passion anymore, and her mood changes. I also heard her old friends when they said she was sleeping in her car but I just thought she got to school early that morning.

"Are we really that blind?" My fists clenched at us being so oblivious and I looked at my friends. They all had expressions full of sadness, anger, and guilt.

"Why didn't she tell us? Or even just me?" Elijah quietly mumbled with his eyebrows furrowed and stared out the window, eyes glossed over. The two of them had a close friendship and trusted each other greatly, it was clear Elijah was hurt she hadn't told him.

I thought she was happier. Compared to before we began talking, she was now smiling constantly and laughing. She was getting more confident at not letting people tear her down.

I thought she was happier. Turns out, she was going through something so terrible all on her own and I couldn't even notice it.

I snapped out of my self blaming and felt determined. I was going to help her be happy again. No matter how long it would take. "Well what should we do?"

Alex glanced at all of us. "I mean, she could stay at our house. It'll be lonely during the week but at least it's a home."

I nodded as well as the rest of the boys. "She won't go willingly, though." They all stared at me in confusion. I rolled my eyes. "Do you realize who were talking about here? Anytime one of us tries to help her with the smallest things, she rejects it. We'll probably end up having to bargain with her."