t h i r t y f i v e

I gazed at the passing buildings for forty five minutes as Xander drove us to the outskirts of town. When we begun heading into the areas of abandoned buildings, he slowed down and searched for a specific one. Finding it, he parked and both of us stepped out.

He grabbed his supplies and started walking near the back of the broken building, me following suit. As we passed through the alleyway, I couldn't help but stare in awe at all the amazing murals along it, varying from tagging to portraits to simple random figures. Each piece ranged from colorful to black and white as well.

We finally made it to the back of the building and my eyes doubled in size. "These are all mine on this side," he mumbled and sat his backpack against the wall. It was nowhere near as a bore as he was acting like it was. Instead, it was amazing. They all ranged wildly yet he still captured his uniqueness in every single one. And despite Xander being someone who was dark and mysterious, not one of his pieces had no color.

"Holy shit, Xander. I mean, I know you were good but this? You need to leave this town asap so you can get the recognition you deserve."

The black haired boy laughed and nodded as he continued organizing his supplies. "That's the plan. As soon as senior year is over, I'm out of here."

"Road trip to Cali?" I sat against the close wall directly opposite of the vibrant one.

He turned his head to look at me, sporting a smirk on his face. "Yeah, you still coming?"

I smiled and nodded. "Hell yes." My happiness faltered for a moment as I mumbled quieter, "If I don't leave before that, that is."

Unfortunately for the eerily silent area, he was able to hear me. Xander stood up and turned all the way around to view me. His brows furrowed and his eyes held no amusing glint like before. "What do you mean you're going to leave before that?"

Biting my lip, my eyes flickered everywhere but him. Fuck, why did I have to have such a big fucking mouth? "I- Uh- I'm not for sure or anything but I do turn eighteen soon so I figured since there isn't really anything here for me, I could leave with a bang and go to a different state." I began picking at the rips in my jeans as I heard him getting closer to where I sat.

"Go out with a bang?" The boy kneeled in front of me and swatted my hand so I'd look at him. His eyes flashed in what I assumed was sadness but before I could confirm, he glanced away from me.

I shook that thought off. "Now that is also a secret. I just want to knock my parents off their pedestal. Maybe even this whole town."

I wasn't sure what kind of reaction I'd get from him, but this wasn't taken into possibility. Xander had his boyish and rebellious grin on his face as he laughed and walked back over to his wall. "Look at miss Junie, finally giving payback to the bitches that deserve it."

He added, "Just ask the boys and me if you need help for anything. You know we'd do anything for you."

My body lit up in excitement. This reaction was exactly how I felt when I first started hanging out with him. Anytime he would show he was proud of me, my actions became a thousand times more desirable. I just want to see that look on his face every single time I do something.

After a few minutes, Xander gave us both masks and made his first line. As he worked on his piece, I sat and watched in full interest. During the whole process, I never took my eyes of the skillful boy and how every swift motion of the can was precise.

We were there for a few hours before he had completed it. "June." Moving my eyes of the sky, I turned towards Xander and saw he had already taken off his mask and gloves. Taking off my mask, I glanced at his art.