n i n e t e e n

The next two days I put my undivided attention on school work and helping my mom out for her party on Friday. She was having her annual Halloween party for the adults in the town and had to make sure everything was picture fucking perfect.

As soon as I entered our house from school Friday afternoon, I was being yelled at. "Juniper Matthews, you better put on your nicest dress and be on your best behavior. I mean it!" Rolling my eyes at my mother's pointless nagging, I assured her she had nothing to worry about.

After some time had passed, I put on a random dress in the back of my closet and made sure to use makeup on my wrist and covered it with bracelets.

I went downstairs and sighed as I had to stay in this hell for the next few hours. My mom eyed me like a hawk frequently so I chatted with random old men until she'd leave. Then I would stand in a corner on my phone.

• • •

It was a little over an hour before Cas would be coming to pick me up for the party and saying I was nervous would be an understatement. I glanced at myself in the mirror once again for the twentieth time and simply stared. At the time, I felt confident in it but right now I was just worrying about what other people would think. Will people think i'm a slut? Should I have just chose a random mediocre but safe outfit?

I huffed and combed my hand through my dark brown hair. Grabbing my phone, I dialed the first person I could think of. As soon as the obnoxious ringing stopped I said in a joking manner, "Would it be acceptable to just cut holes through a white sheet and go as a ghost?" It really wasn't a joke though.

A small laugh could be heard. "What's wrong, June?" His voice hummed through the phone and I automatically shivered. It was the first time we talked since the car.

"It's just- What if people think i'm a slut or something?" I thought about Eric's words and tried to pull the dress further down from its original state.

He sighed, "June if anyone calls you a slut I will personally beat their asses. I think I've made that pretty clear already."

I laughed and nodded even though he couldn't see me. "True." I bit my lip and kept staring at myself, trying to point out my flaws to myself.

"You looked beautiful in that dress and I bet everyone at Alex's party will agree with me. You have nothing to worry about." I smiled at his words with a blush faintly crossing my cheeks. We talked for a tad bit longer before saying our goodbyes.

The remaining time left I spent on my phone, just trying to distract myself from my negative thoughts. I must have lost track of time as I heard a honk outside my house. I speedily found my angel wings and put them on. When I accomplished that, I grabbed my phone and headed outside.

Getting in Cassie's car they all stared at me in surprise. "Wow bitch I didn't know we were about to have a model in the car." I grinned at her words and shyly thanked her.

After ten or so minutes, we made it to Alex's house. It was way more packed now than the last one I went to here. It was also decorated differently. His obsession with Halloween has a whole new meaning.

The mansion was covered in cobwebs, fake spiders, and the yard was littered with random scary decorations. I grinned as we all walked hand in hand towards the door.

We walked in and I couldn't help but feel giddy. Now this is what I call a fucking party. Everybody in here was dressed in random costumes and the songs blasting through the walls even had a grunge vibe to it.

The girls pushed me with them towards where everyone was dancing and Layla said she was headed to get us drinks. As my friends started to dance, Roxi got near my ear, "Just fully let loose once, yeah?" I bit my lip and nodded. What's the worst that could happen?