f o r t y

Juniper's pov:

Every single one of us had multiple problems in our personal lives that deemed alcohol, sex, and drugs to be much more desirable than in an average partying night.

I had the naïve belief that I would be the most sober out of our friend group in case they needed my help. Yet, as soon as I saw my old friends, that idea flew out the window. Roxi, Cassie, and Layla all had wide smiles and energetic bodies as they danced as if life was so utterly perfect. Drinks amongst drinks were going to be needed for me if I didn't want to start something and end up beaten down again. Emotionally speaking, of course.

Alex and I clinked our cans of cheap beers together- little trails of alcohol dripping down the aluminum- before chugging them down and going for round two. When we glanced at Elijah and Raven, their mortified faces caused us to laugh and continue our repeated actions.

After downing two beers in less than a couple minutes, we decided to take our time getting wasted and grab a bottle of alcohol- fireball. It wasn't my desired drink of choice but in the end, all that will matter is that it has gotten the job done. I hopped onto the island counter along with Alex and we watched our friends go their separate ways through the open kitchen view.

Elijah strolled nonchalantly out of the kitchen and through the crowds, somehow succeeding in not having physical contact with a single partier. When he made it to the couches along the sides, a few boys brought their hands out and they gave a unique handshake. Taking an empty seat, a lean redhead nodded towards him and held out a long glass concoction. The introverted boy beamed in excitement as if Santa came early while he took it. Grabbing a lighter from the glass table before him, he then held the flame near the side of the bowl and slowly neared in. Once inhaled, he held it a few seconds before releasing and grinning, taking another hit.

Directing my gaze towards Oliver, I found him leaning his back against the bare walls. He must have been looking for someone by the way his eyes fluttered the crowd back and forth. It wasn't until he leaned off the wall that his bored expression transformed into happiness, a big grin appearing as he bumped into people. Oliver made it to the person and I now realized it was Joy. He threw his arms around her before she motioned him towards the table and they began taking multiple shots with her friends.

Glimpses of Raven could only be seen through the wild crowd of bodies dancing and jumping around. Though when I did catch her, she always had her hands on a beautiful girl's waist. Raven always managed to entrance every girl around her as she moved like no one else existed. She was currently with a pale freckled girl. Leaning down to her ear, Raven must have said something sinful as the seemingly shy girl's face flushed and she nodded with pure curiosity. Raven laughed before trailing her off to another room.

The immediate second after our shoes stepped into the sanction of Alex's home, Xander had disappeared into the party. Even now, as I overlooked both the kitchen and the living room, he was nowhere to be found.

Alex caught my attention when he nudged my thigh. "Why aren't you out there having fun?" The radiant reflection of the lights hanging above us created a minuscule shimmer on his nose ring as he tilted his head.

I took a gulp of fireball and grimaced. Wiping my mouth with the back of my hand, I replied, "Worried about Xander. You?"

When he sighed, I gazed into his bright eyes. "Just got a lot of shit on my mind," he said. "But hey, don't worry about Xander. He's just having a rough time with his dad but he'll get back up. He always does. You just need to get wild and forget about everything like he's probably doing, you deserve it."

I pondered his last few words, the words that have been repeated to me multiple times today. While we stared at the teenagers having the times of their lives, I decided to join them. Hopping off the counter, I turned around and held my hand out to him. "You know you can talk to me if you ever need to rant about your problems, right? I'll always help you."