{ Chapter 23 }

"𝓨𝓸𝓾 𝓬𝓪𝓷 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓶𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓪 𝓭𝓲𝓯𝓯𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓷𝓬𝓮 𝓾𝓷𝓵𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝓭𝓲𝓯𝓯𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓷𝓽" - 𝓙𝓾𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓷 𝓣𝓲𝓶𝓫𝓮𝓻𝓵𝓪𝓴𝓮

Chapter 23:

I clutched the baseball bat in my hand as I quietly approached my closed room

Lexi was behind me tiptoe-ing like a ninja. Of you haven't figured get, I taught her the 'sneak mode'. It never crossed my mind that I'll let her use this trick this way.

I want her to do it when we were sneaking on Cayden to prank him, not sneaking on a who-knows-what shadow in my room!?

I reached my doorknob hoping nothing will come out from my room. That's not going to happen, but can't a girl hope?

A loud squeaking sound made me jump out of my skin.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

I screamed in my head holding my hands on my mouth.

I DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH THE DOORKNOB!

Wait a darn minute...

"Lexi?!", I whispered-yelled, "Put the squeaking carrot back! Didn't I tell you it's a 'sneaking mode' not 'playtime mode'?!"

She slowly spat the toy out of her mouth, her tongue showing up in the process.

PHEW! She gave me a heart attack...

I reached for the door handle, another time.

Remember the plan, Annie!

Whatever gets out of the room just knock it out with the bat, okay?

I looked at the bat. I don't even know why I had this? Uh-oh... It's Cayden's. He got it signed from is a favorite baseball team. He has been searching for this bat for more than a year.

I'm sorry, okay? It's not my fault he throws his things all over my house? You know what? After tonight this bat won't exist.

I better thank Cayden for leaving it here. Who would've guessed? A bat saving my life? Wow!

IN THE NAME OF LOVE, ANNIE! JUST FOCUS!

Okay...

In

Out

In

Out

I cracked the door open and ran away to the wall of my staircase. Lexi growled at the door slowly backing to stand in front of me.

Ew... What is this smell?!

I clearly remember cleaning my room on Tuesday.

I collected all the confidence I have entering the room with my head held high, the bat in front of me, and me slightly trembling.