Chapter Thirty

Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters are reunited in the dining room of the Malfoy manor, plotting a plan to capture and kill Harry Potter.

It's humiliating for the Malfoys to have become servants inside their own manor, and Voldemort seems to enjoy humiliating them more and more in front of the other Death Eaters.

Narcissa and Lucius look destroyed. They have bags under their eyes and Lucius seems not to have shaven in weeks. On the other hand, Draco looks terrified by Nagini and he is trying his best to hold back his tears.

Nagini has been staring at Draco mindfully all the time on the table, like she was going to attack him anytime.

Professor Snape arrives to the meeting with important information about the date when Harry is gonna be moved, probably to the home of someone in the Order, and he suggests that they should attack him before he arrives to that place.

Suddenly, a woman moaning in pain in the next room can be heard.

—Wormtail! —Voldemort yells—. Have I not spoken to you about keeping our guest quiet?

—Yes, my Lord. Right away, my Lord —Pettigrew answers and leaves the dining room.

—As you may know, I must be the one to kill Harry Potter, but I face an unfortunate complication. My wand and his share the same core. They are, someways, twins. We can wound but not fatally harm one another. If I'm gonna kill him, I must do it with someone else's wand. Well, surely one of you would like the honor. What about you, Draco?

—My Lord? —Draco replies terrified.

—"My Lord"? —Voldemort mimics him—. I require your wand.

Draco gulps and, with his hands shaking, he gives his wand to Voldemort.

—Do I detect hawthorn? —Voldemort asks after smelling the wand.

—Yes, my Lord —Draco replies.

—And the core?

—Unicorn hair, my Lord.

—Unicorn hair?

Draco nods, and after a brief silence, Voldemort continues:

—To those of you who don't know, we are joined here tonight by Ms. Charity Burbage, who until recently taught at Hogwarts. Her speciality was Muggle Studies —he waves the wand and professor Burbage enters the dining room levitating, escorted by Wormtail. Her body is full of bruises and blood. She seems to have been tortured—. Ms. Burbage believes that muggles are not so different than us. She thinks that we should... mate with them...

Everybody but Draco make a grimace of disgust and some others even make noises of disgust to hear those words.

—To her —Voldemort continues—, the mixture of magical and muggle blood is not an abomination!

—Severus —professor Burbage whispers, looking at professor Snape—. Severus, please. We're friends —she begs, but Snape does nothing.

—Avada Kedavra! —Voldemort casts and professor Burbage falls down to the table immediately. She is dead—. Nagini. Your dinner.

Draco gulps and his chin starts shaking, but he keeps struggling to hold back his tears while Nagini swallows its prey in front of everybody.

—This wand is a piece of trash, just like his owner! —Voldemort shouts and gets close to the Malfoys, just to hit the wand against the table in front of Draco, making him give a little jump—. Lucius! —He yells and Lucius gives a little jump—. I require your wand.