14

September 25
Bernice,

I went to college for accounting and I ended up not finishing the degree. I got pregnant at twenty one and had Aaron at twenty two. I had to put school on hold so that I could take care of Aaron and then I got pregnant again at twenty four and had Ashley.

Now, I'm looking at colleges to study IT. They are some good ones out of state but I just got Ashley back and I don't want to leave my children or take them away from August again. I pressed the buttons on my laptop, searching for colleges in Georgia.

August took a seat across from me. I looked at him and he stared at me. "Are you ok?" I broke the silence. I looked back at my computer and continued to skim the information of one of the colleges. This is unlike him. He's never been this quiet. I'm the one who's quiet.

"August." I called out. He has his head hung low like he's in deep thought. "Huh?" He said. "What's wrong?" I closed my laptop. "Nothing's wrong." He said. If he wants me to believe nothing is wrong, he shouldn't be acting like that. "Let me ask this instead. What are you thinking about?" I wondered.

He muttered something. I put my laptop in the bag and got up. "I should just go back to my place." I told him. He obviously needs some space or time to think. I went to where Ashley and Aaron were sitting on the floor and watching tv. I told Aaron that we are leaving. I picked up Ashley and Aaron got up and put his shoes on.

August wants the kids to live with him but Ashley is too young. Aaron had a choice on where to live and he chose me because he wants to be with Ashley. "Bye daddy." Aaron hugged his dad. My phone started ringing while I was driving.

I put the call on speaker. "Hello." I said. I made a stop at the traffic light. "Hi Bernice. This is your mom." As soon as the person said that I dropped the call and focused on my driving.

When I got home I put the kids on my bed. Violet and Trina aren't home. Trina's is out like always while Violet should still be at work.

I have so many questions to ask Lucinda, but I'm not ready to meet with her. Why did she take Ashley away from me? I just gave birth to Ashley in the hospital and a couple hours later I fell asleep and when I woke up she wasn't on my chest anymore.

That day I failed as a mother. I couldn't even protect her. I never wanted to turn out like my mom but I did.

Kaylee,

I opened August's front door with the code. Lonte and I walked into August's house. We went straight to the room I was staying in. Lonte helped me put the rest of my stuff I left in a box.

August walked into the room. "What are you guys doing?" He asked. I turned around and looked at him. Since I'm married, I should be staying with my husband. That's where I've been staying and we're trying to work things out.

"We're packing the rest of her stuff since she is staying with me." Lonte told him. August looked at him and shook his head. He's never liked my relationship with Lonte from the start.

"Kaylee, are you sure you want to live with him?" August said. "Yes." I said. I focused on what I was doing. "I'm-" I interrupted him. "I don't want to hear it." I remarked.

I got married and he hid it from me. Did he do it for his selfish reasons? August seems to think a lot more about himself than anyone else. He didn't once think how I would feel.

We finished packing and then we left. "I think you should hear his side." Lonte thought. He put the box in the trunk. "Where is this coming from?" I asked. Last time I checked Lonte could care less about how August feels.

"I know August hates me. Maybe he did it because he's protecting you." He said. Lonte has some issues but I don't see him as a bad guy. I got Lonte to get Bernice off his hit list.