15

October 1
August,

When I left my room, my phone immediately started ringing. I answered it. "Hello." I said. I grabbed an apple from the fridge. "Hi. What time are you picking the kids up today? I have to be at work at two." She said.

I took a bite of my apple. "I forgot it was my day today. I've got some stuff to do today. Do you mind if I take them to Kaylee?" I asked. I've been busy with a lot of things that I didn't even remember, it was my day with the kids today.

"Fine. Just pick them up in an hour." After she said that, she immediately dropped the call. I threw the remains of my apple in the trash.

Kaylee is barely talking to me but I need her help. I called her multiple times but she's declining it. I texted her that I need her help. I called her again and she picked up.

"What do you want August?" She asked. I scratched my head. "I need you to watch Aaron and Ashley. It's my day today and I have to do something important." I told her.

"I'll watch them only for Bernice's sake, not your's." She stated. "Ok, great. I'll be there in two hours." I mentioned. She ended the call.

I still need to find time to talk to her and explain what I did. I went upstairs and changed since I already took a shower.

After I picked up my kids and dropped them off at where their aunt Kaylee is staying, I went to meet up with Jaquan. "What's up man?" Jaquan said.

The things I have to do to get them not to go after Bernice, everyone else will know not to come after what's mine. "You look stressed." Jaquan noticed. "I am. Do you remember the drug dealer in New York who goes by the name Kingpin?" I asked.

"Yeah. What about him?" He asked. I sighed. I don't even have a plan on how to deal with him. I want Jaquan to help me with that. "He sent one of his people to give me a note." I pulled out the note and gave it to him.

He became angry when he finished reading it. "What are we going to do?" He asked. "I don't know." I said. All I know is that I'm going to make him pay for that threat he sent.

Bernice,

I gave an old lady her meal. I work as a caregiver at a senior home. I went to go clock out since it's the end of my shift. "Hey Bernice." Someone said while I was walking out. I turned around and saw that it is one of the resident's son.

"Hi. How can I help you?" I said. "I have been noticing you for a while now and I want to take you out to lunch sometime." The guy said. "I don't even know your name." I said. I grabbed my phone out of my purse and saw it was ten thirty.

"It's Terrel." He mentioned. I nodded. He is cute. He had on jeans with a t-shirt. I think he volunteers here since I remember seeing him around working with residents.

"Will you accept my offer?" He asked. "I'll think about it." I said. He took out a pen and paper from his pocket and wrote what I assume is his number down. "Call me when you're ready." He mentioned. I nodded. I left the building. I couldn't wait to see my kids even though they will be sleeping.

It is now October fourteenth. Violet came and sat next to Trina while I'm on the other side of the table. I put my phone down and saw that they are staring at me. "Is this an intervention?" I asked. They looked at each other.

"We think you need a night out or time to yourself." Trina stated. "I can't have time to myself. I have kids to take care of." I refused.

I know I need some me time but I have to take care of my kids and I need the money to go back to school. August's days with the kids have been taken over by Kaylee and their mom. August only has his kid's two days a week by himself because he's busy making his drops but he's free to see the kids whenever I or someone else has them.

"Sis you have been working hard you just need one weekend to yourself. It'll be on me and Trina." Violet mentioned. "That's not what we-" Violet caught Trina off. "It'll be on us." Violet looked at her in a 'we're doing this rather you like it or not' way.

My phone started ringing. It's August's mom. I answered it. "Hi Ms. Alsina. How are you?" I asked. "Bernice, I'm doing good. How are you and the kids?" She asked.

"We're all fine. The kids are taking a nap." I said. "Ok. Have you seen August recently?" She seems worried. "I haven't. It's been two weeks since I last saw him." I told her. "Hmm." She said. He has only been texting to check on the kids but he hasn't seen them. "Is something wrong?" I asked.

"It's just that he is not at home and he's not picking up his calls and neither is Jaquan." She informed me. "I'll ask my sister about Jaquan and I'll let you know. Can you please hold on for a little bit?" I said. I put the phone on the table.

"What's up?" Violet asked. "Have you heard from Jaquan?" I asked. "No, I haven't. Why?" She asked. "I'll tell you later." I mentioned. I picked up my phone and put it back on my ear. "Ms. Alsina, my sister hasn't heard from him." I told her. "Ok. I guess that they are out doing what they do." She said.

I know they deal with drugs but I don't think that is what she's talking about. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Don't worry about it. I think they are fine." Her tone didn't assure me that they are fine. If they aren't out in the streets, then they are probably handling business elsewhere.