After So Long

Your POV

After the mens event was the ice dance event and not shocking, Papadakis/Cizeron got gold with Chock/Bates getting silver and finally Sinitsina/Katsalapov getting bronze. Now, after a long anticipation was finally the ladies short program. With my accomplishments throughout the season, I was considered to be in the second to last group with Mariah Bell, Elizabet Tursynbayeva, Gaby Daleman, Yelim Kim and Kaori Sakamoto. Whilst the final group consists of Evgenia Medvedeva, Kamila Valieva, Alena Kostornaia, Rika Kihira, Alysa Liu and Young You. We all got to the rink at 7 in the morning as the event takes place at 10 in the morning so we all had time to test out the rink before the actual event occurs.

Once the early morning official practice is over, it was now time to get ready for the actual event. The ice was being resurfaced while those in the first 2 groups prepared themselves for the short program. Whilst the rest of the group either started to put on their costumes or get some drink, take a bit of break, relax their muscles, etc. As for me, I'm currently on my yoga matt, lazying around whilst on my phone, to help decrease the stress as Rika was relaxing her muscles and Zhenya was also on her phone. We all talk a bit once in a while with Javi and even with each other. Not long after, the actual event finally starts. The first group was finally out and starts the 6-minute warm-up. Once the 6-minute warm-up was over, the actual competition finally begun. One by one, the skater performed, got the scores and left the ice. Once it was the third group to skate, I finally went to go change into my costume which I asked both Rika and Zhenya if they wanted to come which they did. We all changed into our costumes, touched up our makeup and did our hair before going back to the training room.

Finally, when they announced that the third group was almost over, they called the fourth group to get ready which I then told Rika and Zhenya that I will be going and the two of them wished me luck which I nodded and head out of the room along with Javi. I then handed Javi my tissue box as I took my skating suitcase and put on my skates. After the final skater of the third group was done, it was now time for the fourth group which was my group. The current standings were Wakaba in first with Karen Chen in second and Saveka in third. Once the announcer announced the fourth group, we then went onto the ice and I was the final one to perform in the fourth group. We all then began our 6-minute warm-up which I started with a few strokes before actually doing some singles and then to triples. Once I felt I had enough warm-up I then went towards Javi who then massages my shoulder saying that I'm a bit tense. He then told me to take a deep breath before going to do my triples which I nodded and went back to do my triples. Once there was only 1-minute left, Javi told me to do my combination and triple axel which I did both of them beautifully at the same time marks the end of the 6-minute and the first of the fourth group, Elizabet Tursynbaeva turn to skate.

Skater after skater, jump after jump, spin after spin, they all were completed, at least that's what I thought since I didn't watch the actual programs at all. It wasn't until Kaori was almost finished with her program that they told me to go out from backstage and prepare to perform which I did. I watched Kaori finishing her program with the stsq and a layback spin before her ending pose. Once she ended her program, I then took off my blade guards and jacket to hand it to Javi. After Kaori came back into the borders, I hugged her and told her that she was amazing which she then told me good luck as she went to the kiss and cry area with her coach while I go around the rink, warming up a bit, waiting for my name to be called. Once Kaori's score came out, so did her current standing and then my name was about to be called. I went back to Javi one last time which Javi told me that no matter what, I should be proud and that I will do amazing. I then smiled before he gave me last good luck words and in an instant, my name was called and I immediately go around the ice a bit before going to the middle of the rink and prepare my starting pose, waiting for the music to begin. Right before the music began, I managed to sneak a little glance of the crowd and saw the other TCC members, Jason, Jun, Boyang and even Yuzu all together with Nathan, handing up a banner or good luck, making me smile as I awaited the music of my program.