four ; 04

"Baby, you don't have to worry
I'll be coming back for you."

Back For You — One Direction

___________________________

May 2019 ; 5 months later
( senior year at high school )

> @AidenMaddd
hey. remember me?

My eyes widen at my phone screen. The Instagram notification stares back at me, my mind racing.

> @ArielWintersx
of course i do. kinda hard to forget ppl who disappear from your life with no explanation.

> @AidenMaddd
Ariel. i'm sorry.

> @ArielWintersx
i won't say it's okay cos it's not.

I couldn't believe this was happening. For six whole months he disappears and comes back and casually shoots me an Instagram DM like it's fine.

He keeps talking to me and I go with it, even though I was still frustrated and confused as to how he could just drop me and disappear randomly after telling me that he cares about me alot.

You don't abandon people you care about.

•   •   •

"I can't believe he did it again!?" Skye guffaws, as I grit my teeth with anger.

Yep. Aiden was gone. Again.

No socials, phone number was unavailable and he was just gone without a trace. It's been like four weeks since he reached out to me again on Instagram DMs and we've talked normally until yesterday when I discovered that he was once again, gone.

"He's not even worth it anymore," Skye scoffs, staring at our last texts. We were casually talking about each other's day on Snapchat and I asked him if he wanted to come hang out at this huge beach party that was happening in our city tomorrow.

The message was unread and his account no longer existed.

It was Friday, and Skye and I stood in the hallways at school, leaning against our lockers right after the bell signaling the end of the last period for the day rang. The hallways were filled with chatter and bustle, kids grabbing their stuff and heading off home, excited for the weekend.

"I'm fed up at this point." I comment, pulling myself together. There was no point being sad or sulking over this. "Let's just forget about it."

"Atta girl," Skye ruffles my hair. "C'mon now, the others are waiting for us," She grabs my hand and leads me over to the school parking lot.

We found our friends hanging out near my car and Dylan's, our usual spot.

"Arieeeeel," Sam throws an arm around my shoulder.

"Hi Sam," I smile. Sam was tall, lean soccer player with tan skin from practicing under the sun for hours. He also sported a pearly white smile that charmed the ladies. Somehow, he was single and haven't had a serious proper relationship in a long time. Relationships just weren't his priority right now.

I look around my group. Sawyer and Penny were standing side by side, Penny leaning her head against Sawyer's shoulder. Danielle was talking to Dylan, Kevin and Skye were flirting as always, and Isabelle was scrolling through her phone while Ian stood behind her, resting his chin on her shoulder, his arms around her waist.