thirteen ; 13

"Used to steal your parents liquor and climb to the roof,
Talk about our future like we had a clue."

The One That Got Away — Katy Perry

_______________________________

It was the sound of birds singing that woke me up.

I blink into consciousness. The sky was dimly lit, and it was cold, conveying that it was very early in the morning, around 5am.

The sound of the city waking up drifted through the air from down below, and the fireplace in the middle of the terrance that had kept us warm last night had died. I try to shift, but I couldn't. I felt a weight on my waist, and I sleepily look down, my eyes snapping open fully when I see a hand wrapped around my waist.

The realisation that Aiden was spooning me from the back and my head was resting on his arm hit me like a wave, my heart skipping a beat.

Careful not to wake him, I slowly turn in his arms. My face ends up inches away from
his.

He looked younger when he was asleep. His dark hair was flat against his forehead, long thick eyelashes casting shadows on his face. I fought the urge to reach out and touch his chiseled jaw.

He was breathing slow, his arms woven tightly around me, almost protectively.

"Aiden," I whisper, bringing my hand up to touch his shoulder as I shook him gently.

"Mm," He mumbles in his sleep, his grip tightening on me.

I try to move, hoping that atleast that would wake him up.

"Baby, stop moving." He mutters, burying his head in my neck. My body tingles at his nickname, that he probably uttered mistakenly.

"Aiden, wake up." I try again, and he pulls his head away from my neck, resting his forehead against mine, his eyes still closed.

"Aiden." I repeat, and I watch as he slowly shifts into consciousness. His eyes flutter open, revealing his gorgeous blue orbs just inches away from mine.

He looks dazed and confused for a second, and his expression shifts to realisation, and then finally relaxes.

I expected him to release me immediately, muttering apologies and excuses, but instead he smiles sleepily, nuzzling his nose to my cheek in the most adorable way possible.

"Good morning." His morning voice, husky and thick, sent chills down my spine.

I blink, pleasantly surprised. "Good morning."

"Do you wanna grab some breakfast?" He mumbles, rubbing his eyes adorably.

"Yeah."

• • •

"Wooh!" Blair cheers as she walks ahead of us, her hands in the air.

Noah, Blair and I were leaving campus on our last day for the semester. Finals were over, results were given out and thankfully, me and my two best friends passed with flying colours. We had two months of Christmas holidays ahead of us to enjoy and relax after cramming for exams.