seventeen ; 17

"I was June and you were my Johnny Cash,
Never one without the other, we made a pact,"

The One That Got Away — Katy Perry

_____________________________

"Oh my god Ms Scott, this food is amazing!" Blair moans, shovelling more mashed potatoes into her mouth, making us all chuckle.

Aiden, Sawyer, Danielle, Blair, Noah and my mom, brother and grandma were all seated at my dining table, eating dinner. My mum had whipped up a delicious meal of pork chops and mashed potatoes with gravy along with homemade Margaritas.

After dinner, me, my brother and my friends lazed around in the living room once we were done helping my mom and Gran clean up.

"So what are we gonna do while we're here? Any plans?" Noah asks, stretching.

"Speaking of," Danielle perks up. "My family has a lake house a little outside the city. We could go there for a few days for New Years!"

"That sounds amazing!" I say, excitedly.

"I already made plans with a few friends," Grey pouts.

"It's alright," I pat his arm. My mum and Gran walk in, taking a seat.

"Mum, what are you doing for New Years?" I ask.

"Your aunt Macy invited us to a dinner, love." My mum responds, gesturing to her and Gran. "I told her that you guys might already have made plans, and wouldn't be able to make it."

"Is it alright if we don't spend New Years together mum?" I ask. "Danielle's invited all of us to her parents lake house."

"It's alright honey," She smiles. "We'll be together for Christmas anyway, one New Years won't hurt as long as you call us."

I reach over and hug her. "Thanks mum."

It was nearing midnight when Sawyer, Danielle, Noah and Blair left, and my family retreated to their rooms for the night after a round of good night's.

Aiden and I climb the stairs to the third floor together. We walk down the hallway and pause at his door.

He turns to me and flashes me his smile. "I guess this is goodnight."

"Yeah," I smile, and he reaches over to tuck a stray strand of hair behind my ear. He grabs my hand and lifts it to his lips, kissing the back of my hand softly.

"Goodnight angel." He whispers, softly letting go of my hand.

I was struggling to remember how to speak.

"Goodnight." I breathe out before flashing him one last smile and making a beeline to my bedroom.

• • •

The next morning, it was freezing outside. The sky was grey as me and Aiden stepped out of my house a little past 11am.

"Will it snow?" Aiden asks as I unlock the car.