twenty four ; 24

"In another life, I would make you stay,
So I don't have to say you were the one that got away."

The One That Got Away — Katy Perry

____________________________

The morning and afternoon following the night after the pub, was spent hanging around in our rooms and the living room nursing hangover's.

Sawyer, the sober designated driver, was the only one who wasn't clutching his head in pain or groaning about how everything is too bright.

I sat by the kitchen island, watching as Sawyer made lunch for us.

"Do you need any help?" I ask, and he shakes his head no.

He makes all of us tuna melt sandwiches, which we all devour in a matter of minutes. After lunch, we gather around in the living room to watch a movie.

I cuddle up next to Aiden, and he wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"What's the plan for tonight?" Noah turns to Danielle.

"There's a small new years party thing by the lake nearby, they do it every year. People from town and stuff come in, and we can see the fireworks. What do you guys say?"

"Sounds great. Let's do it." Sam says, and we all agree with him.

We laze around until late evening, when the girls drag me upstairs to start getting ready. I had planned the outfit for new years ahead, and had packed it.

I fetch it from my suitcase and hold it up for the girls to see.

It was a checkered black and white romper, with a V-neckline and a black belt

It was a checkered black and white romper, with a V-neckline and a black belt. I pair it with black wedges to match.

"Absolutely brilliant." Blair says, and the other girls agree with her. We help each other pick outfits, and did each other's makeup and hair.

When we were done, it was nearing eight pm.

I saunter downstairs, the girls following me. We find the boys in the living room playing the PS4 Sam had brought along, all dressed up.

My eyes immediately go to Aiden, who was dressed in a black button up rolled up at the sleeves, and white jeans. His eyes light up when he sees that we were matching.

"Let's get going, we can walk. It's like five minutes away." Danielle informs, and we all pull on our coats and step outside into the cool night air.

Aiden falls into step beside me, grabbing my hand.

"You're beautiful, Ariel." He says, knocking the oxygen out of my lungs like he always does.

"Thank you. You look pretty delicious too." I chip, laughing.

"You have permission to eat me up entirely, my love." He winks, making my blush deepen.

We reach the party spot soon, and it was bustling with energy. A bonfire was lit, drinks were being passed around, and there was even a makeshift DJ set up with an actual DJ behind it, playing the latest hits. People were laughing, talking, some even swimming by the shallow ends of the lake.

Soon, me and my friends were blending in with the small crowd, dancing and drinking. Aiden never left my side, his arm was glued protectively around my waist.

Do It by Chloe X Halle was blasting through the DJ, and I throw my hands in the air, belting the lyrics.

"No drama, no baby mamas, keeping it cute, ooh ooh ooh, that's just what I do, do,"

Aiden laughs at my antics, biting his lip as he watches me dance with Blair. He looked absolutely ravishing in his shirt, and I've seen girls throw longing looks at him.

To think a boy this attractive and charming wanted little old me, made me feel giddy.

"Do you want to get away from the crowd for abit, babe?" Aiden asks, and I nod, stumbling a little. I'd have enough shots with my friends to become slightly tipsy.

"Woah there." He chuckles, and leads me away from the crowd, near the water.

I bend down and take off my shoes, placing them near a rock. Aiden follows suit, and I walk to the shallow end of the lake, the cool water tingling my toes.

"University starts soon." He reminds, and I sigh. I missed London.

"I know. I miss university." I chuckle, as weird as it sounds.

He smiles, holding my hand. "I'm so thankful I bumped into you at that club."

"Me too." I say. "If that guy didn't try hitting on me, you wouldn't have come over to me, and we wouldn't have met."

"Crazy, isn't it?"

"Yeah."

A comfortable silence fall upon us, and we look out at the lake, watching the skies twinkle above us, feeling the breeze brush against our skin, just enjoying each other's presence.

"Ariel." Aiden mumbles, using my hand to pull me to his chest, like he always does. His other hand cups my cheek, caressing under my eye with his thumb.

"Hi." I giggle.

"Hello gorgeous." He smiles, dipping his head and kissing me.

My body weakens in his arms, giving into his kiss and touch. He bites my bottom lip gently, making me laugh, for some reason.

"Why are you laughing, idiot?" He joins in on my laughter.

"I don't know," I respond, still in a fit of giggles. "I'm happy."

The alcohol was finally kicking in.

"You're an absolute joy, Ariel Winter." Aiden grins, pulling me in for another kiss.