twenty eight ; 28

"Right before I close my eyes,
The only thing that's on my mind,
Been dreaming that you feel it too,
I wonder what it's like to be loved by you."

Wonder — Shawn Mendes

____________________________

A/N:
Quick update cos we hit 2,000 !! It's only been like a week since we hit 1K and here we are 🥺 I love you guys so much, thank you. Truly, I wish I could hug all of you ❤️
Enjoy!

____________________________

Few months later.

"Hey, I have news," Aiden's voice speaks from my phone as I put him on speaker, settling my phone in the cup holder of my car.

"Yeah, tell me." I urge, keeping my eyes on the road as I drive back home.

"Can you come over? I want to tell you in person."

His voice was hesitant, faltering. I frown a little at his tone, but decide not to question it — I'll just find out when I go there.

"Sure, I'll be there in twenty." I reply, and he hangs up. I take a detour, driving towards Aiden's apartment.

Parking my car, I get into the elevator. Aiden buzzed me in, and soon enough I was standing outside his door.

Aiden opens the door, a small smile playing on his lips as he grabs my hand and tugs me inside, closing the door behind me.

He presses a small kiss on my lips, caressing my cheek. "Hi Ariel."

"Hey." I smile back up at him, melting into his touch.

"Come on," He leads me to the couch, sitting me down before he sits next to me, his body turned towards mine.

"Ariel," He says, clasping his hands with mine. "I got the job promotion."

I jolt in surprise and joy washes over me as I squeal and throw my arms around him, hugging him tightly. Aiden was nearly done with his senior year, and he'd been working his ass off the past few months to get a job in order to kickstart his career in the ICT industry.

"Aiden! I'm so proud of you," I gush, cupping his cheeks and planting a kiss on his lips.

Aiden was smiling, but it didn't reach his eyes. I falter, immediately sensing that something was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I ask, my eyes studying his.

"Ariel..." He sighs, biting his lip. "It's in New York."

A wave of emotions surpass me, starting from excitement and ending with the harsh cold realisation that he's going to have to move.

"Oh." I say, feeling dread creep up my spine and my chest beginning to feel heavy. I try to keep my emotions at bay, but I clearly failed at it because Aiden sees the look in my face and pulls me closer to him.

"I can not go—" He starts, but I cut him off.

"Are you stupid?" I guffaw, smacking him lightly. "This is an opportunity of a lifetime, Aiden! You're not going to throw it away, you've worked so hard for it. No, absolutely not."