twenty nine ; 29

"This love is tainted,
I need you and I hate it,
You're caught between a dream and a movie scene,"

Fool For You — ZAYN

__________________________

When Hayden left nearly two years ago, I never thought I'd see him again. I thought that he'd find a permanent job in Canada, meet a girl, and settle there.

Never in a million years would I have expected him to show up at my door step, soaked from head to toe, with nothing but a big suitcase.

The emotions hit me like tsunami at the sight of him, overwhelming me so much that I felt slightly dizzy for a second.

"Ariel." He mumbles, his familiar voice sending chills down my spine. He lifts his head, and that's when I see his bloodshot eyes.

"He's gone. My dad's gone." Hayden whispers, and suddenly he sways a little, almost falling. I lunge forward and steady him, wrapping an arm around his waist.

Pushing my own overbearing emotions of shock away, I focus on helping Hayden. I gently lead him inside, dragging his suitcase with me before closing the door behind us.

I lead him straight to my bedroom, and set him down on my bed, sitting next to him. His head drops down tiredly against my chest, and I wrap my blanket around him, trying to warm him up. I didn't know what to say, or do. The news of Hayden's father dying was a huge shock to me, although I always knew the day would come sooner or later. Right now, I just had to focus on stabilising the boy that was in my arms right now, questions can be asked later.

Suddenly, Hayden's body starts shaking, sobs racking through him as he starts to cry silently. My heart throbs in my chest for him, and I pull him closer to me, wrapping my arms around him and rocking him back and forth. Hayden's big arms circle my waist, clinging on to me as he buries his face in my shoulder, crying.

I hold him until his sobs slow down, and he pulls his face away from my neck. He looks at me, his nose pink and eyes puffy. My stomach sinks at the sight of him like this.

"I'm so sorry for barging in like this... I—" He starts, but I cut him off.

"It's okay, Hayden. We'll talk about it tomorrow okay?" I caress his cheek, wiping a stray tear away. "Let's get you in a hot bath and into bed."

He nods, and I give him a towel and clothes from his suitcase before he goes into the bathroom. While he showers, I make him a cup of chamomile tea.

When I walk back to my room, mug in hand, Hayden is sitting in my bed wearing a loose cotton tee, with sweatpants. His hair is damp, sticking to his forehead, making him look ten years younger.

I hand him the mug, and clear up my bed for him.

"I can sleep in the guest room." Hayden says, finishing off his tea. I shake my head, taking back the mug.

"Sleep here. It's okay." I insist, and he stares at me for a moment, letting out a soft breath.

I step closer to him and give him one last hug. "Goodnight."

Hayden smiles weakly up at me. "Goodnight."

I turn off the lights after he gets under the duvet, and close the door behind me after I leave.

Washing the mug, I go back to making my coffee, my head swarming with thoughts as I drink it, sitting alone at my kitchen island.

After finishing off the coffee, I drag myself to the guest bedroom, falling into deep sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.