twenty two ; 22

"I should have told you what
you meant to me,
Cause now I pay the price,"

The One That Got Away — Katy Perry

_________________________

"Sam, mind passing me a sausage?" I chip, holding out my plate to Sam, who was manning the barbecue machine as promised, wearing a cute apron that said 'kiss the chef'.

"Sure," He replies as he picks up a sausage off of the grill using his barbecue tong, and drops it on my plate. I smile in response before settling back on to the seats around the bonfire.

Dylan and Aiden had started up the bonfire, it was small but merry, providing enough heat for us to be comfortable.

Soft music was playing from the stereo, and chatter all around me from my friends as I place the sausage inside my hot dog bun with my fork.

"Mustard?" I mumble out loud to no one in particular, and Aiden steps in front of me, holding the mustard bottle out to me.

"Here you go." He hands it to me and I smile up at him, gratefully.

He ruffles my hair affectionately and takes a seat next to me as I squirt some mustard on my hot dog.

After about an hour, everyone was tired, the bonfire was dying and the food was over. We say our goodnight's and retreat to our rooms.

I take a quick shower, and slip into a pair of long pajama pants and a baggy cropped tanktop, before pulling my hair into a ponytail. Since the night was chilly, I pull on a pair of socks to keep my feet warm.

I was about to slip under the duvet, when my phone rang.

I glance at the caller ID that reads Aiden before I answer the call.

"Ariel," His gorgeous voice soothes my ear.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask, running a hand through my hair.

"Yeah love," He says, butterflies swarming in my stomach at his nickname. "Do you want to go for a ride? I know a place nearby that I'd like to show you."

My heart skips a beat, and with no hesitation, I respond. "Yes."

•   •   •

Fifteen minutes later, I sat cross legged on the passenger seat of the SUV, Aiden driving down a road that ran down the middle of a small forest.

The moon was bright, and stars were sprinkled across the night blue sky.

"Where are we going?" I ask, as Aiden turns into a smaller road that led into the forest. "Are you going to murder me?" I laugh.

Aiden chuckles in response, sending a playful wink my way. "You'll love it."

We drive a few minutes into the forest, and the road starts going uphill. We finally come to a stop on top of a small hill.

"Come on," Aiden says, unlocking the doors and stepping out.

I get off the car, the wet grass soft under my sneakers. The cold air nips at my skin as I look ahead, a soft gasp leaving my lips as I take in the scenery.