twenty one ; 21

"All this money can't buy me a time machine, no
Can't replace you with a million rings, no,"

The One That Got Away — Katy Perry

__________________________

"Come on guys, let's head out." I say, grabbing my bag off the couch.

We've finished dinner, helped clean up and now were heading out to see the city. My parents and Gran were going to visit a few of my relatives, and Grey went off to see his friends.

After exchanging goodbyes and promises to be back home soon, my friends and I step out of the house.

Sawyer, Noah and Danielle got into Sawyer's dad's car that he had borrowed for the night, and Aiden, Blair and I were going in my mom's.

As I open the driver's side door of the car to get in, my phone pings. I pause and pull it out, checking the screen.

> New message from Hayden:
merry christmas ariel ❤️

My heart halts in my chest, and I blink down at the screen.

We haven't talked much at all in the past few weeks, I've been so wrapped up in New York, my family and my friends that Hayden didn't wander through my thoughts that much.

But there were a few times where I saw the spots that we used to hang out at, back in high school when I went around the city, and I'd felt a small ache of nostalgia in my chest.

Slowly and hesitantly, I type out a reply.

> Me:
merry christmas hayden x
how's your father?

I had to ask. I knew Hayden wasn't having the time of his life there, he was taking care of his father, who was slowly losing the life in him, and I couldn't imagine the pain of watching someone you love die slowly.

Few seconds passed and a response didn't come, so I pocket my phone, shove all thoughts of Hayden to the back of my head and slide into the driver's seat. Aiden was sitting shot gun, Blair in the back.

"Let's go! Where to first?" Blair asks excitedly.

"Rockefeller Centre." I grin, and start the engine.

Twenty minutes later, we arrive. Rockefeller Centre was just as gorgeous as always, and crowded.

"Let's skate!" Blair says with glee, rushing over to a booth where you could hire skates.
We all follow her, and grab skates.

Soon, we were on the rink.

Turns out from all of us, only me, Danielle, Blair and Sawyer knew how to skate, leaving Aiden and Noah struggling to stay upright.

"Come on, I'll help you." Blair chuckles, grabbing Noah by the arm.

I help Aiden, holding on to him as he struggles to find his balance. After a few minutes of awkwardly falling on his butt and pouting adorably, he finally gets the hang of it.

I extend my hands out for him to grab, and he interlocks his hands with mine, and I skate backwards, pulling him with me.

Soon we were skating around, his hands tightly gripped in mine, laughing and enjoying the gorgeous Christmas night with our friends.